Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2

Default Re: What are you reading 2

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I hesitate to write this, as I think you guys who moderate on here are as fair as fair can be and have been nothing but fair to myself, but I can't help but wonder what the difference is between the statement that Scuba made that got him banned (post #40, which then led to Wiltz' warning and his ultimate ban in post #44), and the statement made here in post #55 http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/foru...tml#post483638

Again, not trying to be difficult, just wondering why one was so much more "over the top than the other, when they both said, essentially, the same thing.
    I don't know exactly what got him booted, but I did report the post where he called r.payton a f***head, or some such epithet which included the "f" word. That language doesn't belong here (even if it's true - ha, ha).
    Last edited by Spider; 09-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I hesitate to write this, as I think you guys who moderate on here are as fair as fair can be and have been nothing but fair to myself, but I can't help but wonder what the difference is between the statement that Scuba made that got him banned (post #40, which then led to Wiltz' warning and his ultimate ban in post #44), and the statement made here in post #55 http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/foru...tml#post483638

If you could pull your head out of your ass for just a moment. If a member of the special forces community writes a book with specific details concerning a fairly recent operation, it is frowned upon especially if the brass doesn't get a chance to read it first. You are not making an apples to apples comparison.
    Again, not trying to be difficult, just wondering why one was so much more "over the top than the other, when they both said, essentially, the same thing.
    He attacked Ugly twice then I playfully posted ''a book '' I 'd read entitled How to be an ass munch-the life of scuba-he called me a fucktard and a few other choice words and that is the last i know of it.He'd attacked me several times always using fucktard and had been warned twice by JensenS.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Not to push the envelope, but now finishing up Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. It's the story of the 2005 Red Wing recon mission in Afghanistan where Luttrell and three SEALS were attacked by a 50+ member force with weapon and terrain advantage (10,000 ft elevation). The battle lasted hours and in the end three SEALS were killed and 35 enemy Taliban soldiers. Unfortunately 16 SEALS and Night Stalkers were also killed when their helo was hit by a rocket grenade when attempting to fly into the hot combat zone without cover of armored gunships to help the pinned down SEALS. Luttrell badly wounded evaded the enemy (with the help of local friendlies) for several days before being rescued. Gripping and gut wrenchingly sad story.

I was just responding to Spider's reported post. I did not ban him. Jensen chose to do that after my warning.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Fair enough, I was just curious.

I know that I've used some choice words fairly recently as well, so I guess that I feel a bit lucky that I didn't get booted (again).
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

PM01 - I read that a while back. I agree on "Gripping and gut wrenchingly sad story" - but the story made me absolutely furious. (At one point my wife took it away from me - the language I was using, out loud, while reading it was scaring the dogs.) We sacrificed a lot of blood to learn the lessons of how to carry out these types of operations. To see them all so totally ignored, again costing those lives, was just more than I could take. I don't wish to take anything away from Mr. Luttrell, his companions, or the SEALs in general - but that operation was a class one, total-and-complete, inexcusable cluster-fluk.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Fair enough, I was just curious.

I know that I've used some choice words fairly recently as well, so I guess that I feel a bit lucky that I didn't get booted (again).
    I'd warned him about his interactions with Russ (inflammatory stuff trying to provoke) in the past.

He decided to disregard my warnings.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Brotherhood Of Darkness. -Dr. Stanley Monteith--a well written and researched by an orthopedic surgeon in the early 60's who decided to look into the realities of what was going on around him .
    From the author-I began to read and study.Initially i read about the bolsheviks, and how they murdered 60,000,000 eople after coming into power . then I learned about the millions of woman who were raped in Eastern Europe after WW II, and how we financed the the Soviet Occupation that carried out that atrocity.Elsewhere,I read about 40 to 80 million chinese who were butchered afterour state department brought Chairman Mao to power , and the fifteen to twenty thousand American Soldiers who were abandoned by our government and allowed to perish in Siberian Prison camps following WWII.Then I read about Operation Keelhaul. It involved the forced repatriation of 5-6 million russians and Cossacks who were held in western Nations at the end of WWII. Many of them committed suicide rather than return to their homeland ,and most of those sent back were either executed or sent to Siberia to die working in slave labor camps? I wondered why I hadn't learned about those things when i attended the University of California as an undergraduate student ,and why I hadn't read about them in some news magazine . At that point I began to suspect that someone , or some group , was censoring our news . and that realization motivated me to continue my search for the truth , p.92
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Just finished reading this: This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness,Molestation,Fatness,Spinsterhood,Grief,Dis ease,Lushery,Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.: Augusten Burroughs: 9780312563554: Amazon.com: Books

Probably the most non-BS, straight-forward "self-help" book I've ever read. Really funny but also cuts to the core. It was the right book for me recently - I've just gone through a separation after 14 years of marriage and I immediately hit if off with an amazing, smoking-hot, incredibly nice woman. We had a two-month whirlwind relationship, she was everything I had been looking for over the past few years, she was the perfect woman at the perfect time for me. The perfect drug, so to speak. Only problem was that she was unaware (or so she says) of how recently I separated so she decided to end the relationship cold-turkey with very little discussion. That really tore me up for a while but time heals all wounds, and the book really set my head on straight. Anyway, I devoured it in a day and I am the better for it.

Looking forward to this one coming out on October 16 from Mark Bowden, I've enjoyed his books previously and he seems to get deep access: The Finish: The Killing of Osama Bin Laden: Mark Bowden: 9780802120342: Amazon.com: Books