Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peyton lands on his feet

Default Re: Peyton lands on his feet

Professional athletes are like real estate - they're worth whatever people are willing to pay. I don't blame the players or the agents, I blame the society that puts more value on an athlete than a teacher, policeman or fireman.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Professional athletes are like real estate - they're worth whatever people are willing to pay. I don't blame the players or the agents, I blame the society that puts more value on an athlete than a teacher, policeman or fireman.
    And that, in essence, is what my opposition is (in addition to Puckett's ridiculous comment).
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Also keep in mind that Techers, Policeman and Fireman dont generate any profits for their orginizations. Police do but they really dont. If we didnt live in a capitalistic society then athletes myght make less and teachers more. Their is also the fact that their are very few people who have the gifts to be a pro athlete, nearly anyone can be a teacher, it only requires that you make it through college.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Also keep in mind that Techers, Policeman and Fireman dont generate any profits for their orginizations. Police do but they really dont. If we didnt live in a capitalistic society then athletes myght make less and teachers more. Their is also the fact that their are very few people who have the gifts to be a pro athlete, nearly anyone can be a teacher, it only requires that you make it through college.
    The value of a profession can be measured in ways other than income generation, and I doubt that many professional athletes would have the skills to be an effective teacher or the courage to be a policeman or fireman. Just because a skill is rare (like catching a football in double coverage), doesn't mean that it is intrinsically valuable.

Being an educator I would argue that there is more to being a teacher than making it through college. I know several people that have the credentials to teach but they couldn't competently explain some very simple concepts. To echo what others have already said though--you're worth (monetarily) whatever people are willing to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    The value of a profession can be measured in ways other than income generation, and I doubt that many professional athletes would have the skills to be an effective teacher or the courage to be a policeman or fireman. Just because a skill is rare (like catching a football in double coverage), doesn't mean that it is intrinsically valuable.
    The value come into play because people want to see the skill displayed at a certain level, and will pay to see it allowing the team to make a bunch of money and also allow for the player to be paid a large portion of cash. I dont see millions of people a year trying to get a seat in a stadium to watch someone teach algebra. You are right that if someone has a certain skill, lets say he is the only person who makes brakes for horse drawn carriages then his rare skill does not draw a high wage.

Let me be clear in saying that I do not agree with the way it works and that I believe that teachers and firefighters should make a good amount of money, but it really comes down to money generation whether we like it or not. A large number of cities are in serious financial trouble, if any of their employees actually produced income for the city instead of just being paid by it then they might not be in such a bad way.

Snackem I dont mean to downplay the abilities of a great teacher, I was just pointing out the skills it takes to become a teacher are easier to obtain than those required to play pro sports.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The value come into play because people want to see the skill displayed at a certain level, and will pay to see it allowing the team to make a bunch of money and also allow for the player to be paid a large portion of cash. I dont see millions of people a year trying to get a seat in a stadium to watch someone teach algebra.
    You are correct. That's why I don't blame the athletes at all. I blame the people who will pay $6000 for a ticket to the Superbowl, then vote against a tax increase to give teachers a raise. It's simply a question of values.

I agree with that, I can study and become an expert in my field, but no matter how hard I work or how much I want it I won't be able to see the seams on a fastball, steal a home run off the wall, throw a ball into double coverage, or stop a Burroughs blast double. The people that can do that not only work at what they do but they are also blessed by winning the genetic lottery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Teachers in private institutions certainly generate profits for those institutions.

However, even in public institutions, they still generate "profits." Public institutions are not businesses, but if they don't bring in profit, funding cuts get exacerbated very quickly. When they do bring in profits, more programs and services are offered.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.