Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are you you?

Default Why are you you?

Good morning,

Recently I was thinking about some influential people and events that significantly shaped my life and thought it would be interesting to read about yours. If you care to share, describe a person or event that played a particular defining role in your life, athletic career, or professional vocation and why. I suppose this could be either a positive or negative experience but nonetheless how did it manifest itself in who you are today. The topic is wide open.

Default Re: Why are you you?

My father. He died when I was 6. It imposed the need to be self sufficient, learn through experience and live with the decisions made, good or bad.

Also, my buddies growing up. If not for them, I probably would not have gone on to college, but since they had planned on it, I followed along. Fortunately, for me, it was a positive environment and influence to grow up in.

My mother and two of my best friends -- Kurt and Kris Van Deusen.

My mom's a saint as far as anyone's concerned and Kurt and Kris have been brothers/family for over half my life.

I wouldn't be where or who I am without them.

My involvement in wrestling changed my life in so many ways. I would have to say that my high school friend, who convinced me to play organized sports for the first time, and my high school wrestling coach, who taught me to respect the sport, my opponents, and myself, have contributed the most to making me who I am.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

After a horrific accident I was taken to a Government lab where they pieced me back together and I became the 6million dollar man.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    After a horrific accident I was taken to a Government lab where they pieced me back together and I became the 6million dollar man.

They spent all that money and couldn't fix your face? .
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Well i'm no Lee Majors

Well if it was not for some freak accident at work that disabled my dad, I am not sure I ever would have been pushed to go to college. My dad started college at the age of 41. Being the oldest of 5 children taught me a lot of responsibility. So I would say that my parents were a big part of that as well.

Also I think that the people that I have built up around me have helped to make me who I am. Also an interesting sense not conforming.

I was a football manager/trainer in high school. The last week of my senior year the football coach asked me what I was going to do in college, other than academics. I told him I wanted to be a wrestling manager. He then proceeded to tell me that every manager he ever had told him that and non of them did it. I told him that obviously he did not know me very well. Needless to say I am very competitive and that just ticked me off, and in the end I definately proved him wrong!
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

Electric!! Re: Why are you you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dart Shark View Post
    My mother and two of my best friends -- Kurt and Kris Van Deusen.

My mom's a saint as far as anyone's concerned and Kurt and Kris have been brothers/family for over half my life.

I wouldn't be where or who I am without them.
    I have two brothers I have never met named Kurt and Kris VanDeusen. They may not even know I exist.

robertcole0 at g mail
    Last edited by robertvandeusen; 12-19-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: remove phone number