Thread: Best Movies/Performances 2008

Olympic Champ

Default Best Movies/Performances 2008

The Oscars are behind us but I'm still opinionated about it.

I generally don't watch too many contemporary movies, but I recently saw two of the Oscar nominees and wondered what other people thought:

Slumdog Millionaire--I thought it was considerably overrated. Nothing too extraordinary or interesting except for the setting. Too many implausible events. Too much violence for my taste.

Milk--Excellent and clearly better than Slumdog. It is a great political drama for those interested in that topic. Really great acting by Sean Penn. Some of the sex scenes (there weren't too many) made me a little uncomfortable, but I chalk that up to my age (over 50) and upbringing. Anita Bryant was a hoot! I don't think this film could have been made 10 or 20 years ago.

Default Re: Best Movies/Performances 2008

I didn't see Milk. I liked Slumdog a lot; I agree that the violence was excessive at times but I still thought it was great. I also saw Benjamin Button, which I thought was good but way too long.

I thought The Dark Knight was awesome; I've never seen a movie that had me on the edge of my seat for that long without getting sick of it. I was disappointed it wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

Gran Torino was great.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

The Wrestler was an awesome flick. Not only for Mickey Rourke performance, but also because I got to see Marisa Tomei naked. Oy Vey!!!
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

I really do agree that Slumdog was very overated. Also, I really nedd to see the Wrestler. It sounds really good.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Thought Slumdog was great, and Milk was too political in regards to the subject matter but I expect that from Penn's movies. As to his acting in the movie, he was great but I liked Mickey Rourke better in The Wrestler. As to how good I thought Slumdog was, the best original story in years, and very thought provoking, a movie that I believe helps instill the concept of how important hope and love is as opposed to power and money.

Other quick thoughts of some mentioned here.

Dark Knight - Very good and Ledger would have won the oscar even if he hadn't died.
    Grand Torino - Frankly outside of Eastwood, one of the most overrated dissapointing movies of the year. A good concept, but it just didn't deliever for me
    The Wrestler - A really good movie, and Torme (sp?) was deserving as was Rourke.
    Benjamin Button - Didn't see

A movie that I really liked and some will take offense at but was very entertaining - Mama Mia

Best and most surprising Family Film - Currently in Theaters to be on DVD next month, The Velveteen Rabbit

Worst movie of the year:

Tie - Religiosity and An American Carol

Best movie you may have never heard of: Jesus Fish Yes a Christian movie but a totally different kind of Christian movie, one that if you are a Christian you will be offended by the following preview. The acting is not great, the story is very good, thought provoking, and confrontational. Also a movie most will be critical of, especially Christians who see the preview and never bother to watch or understand the whole movie. Here is a clip from it though. (it does contain offensive scenes and language) Watch the entire preview, it is likely some will want to see it after seeing the clip.

The film is available for download from the web site for $4. @ www.jesusfishmovie.com

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT & CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT MATTER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVQc-2iA1Pw
    Last edited by furches; 03-04-2009 at 08:24 AM.
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

---------------------------

A certain amount of opposition is of great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with the wind. ~ John Neal

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by furches
    Slumdog was, the best original story in years, and very thought provoking, a movie that I believe helps instill the concept of how important hope and love is as opposed to power and money.
    My skeptical impression was that the film (from British director Boyle) was an expression of power and money--showing its audience (and notably in particular young Indian people) how to be good consumers (hold to a good consumer's dream that you will be rich someday--and drink Coca-Cola). It felt a bit manipulative. The dedication of the young man to his girl didn't seem to have much of a foundation. The radically changing character of the brother (S___), from brotherly companion, to bad guy without morality, to gaining a conscience again, didn't seem plausible. Neither did the torture by what appeared to legitimate policemen.

the best part about slumdog was the line where the kid said, "I want to go to America - where the poor people are FAT!"

haha. so true. how funny was that?!
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."