Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State football sexual assault scandal

Default Re: Penn State football sexual assault scandal

There has been a lot of talk about this but I am compelled to play keyboard cowboy and share my opinion as well. First off as I'm typing this I can't help but recall the Duke Lacrosse case. That being said I think this is different in several ways.

Here's my opinion.
    • Joe Paterno
      I've never been a huge PSU fan but I've admired Paterno's ability to change and adapt throughout the years. He's an incredible coach and a guy that I always thought was more interested in doing what was right than doing whatever in order to win. Paterno is also bigger than life in State College. That is where he fell short of his moral responsibility. He reported this to the authorities (PSU and law official) but when he saw nothing was being done he could have easily pushed a little bit and ensured that action was taken. If Paterno would have felt that this was a big deal then he and he alone really had the power to ensure that it was handled in a way that he felt was sufficient.
    • Sandusky and other molesters
      I can understand wanting to protect your family. Growing up one of my best friends and a guy that I really admired turned out to be a child molester. He never molested me in anyway and we did a lot together (including camping and hiking). When the news came out I was sick to my stomach. I couldn't imagine that he would do something like this but at the same time I'm happy to know that he'll spend the rest of his life in jail. If I would have been the one that found the evidence or heard the reports from the young boy I can guarantee that my first stop would have been to his house letting him know that I would be going to the police and offering him the chance to go there first. That's about the only sympathy that I would give someone.
    • AD and other admins.
      It appears to me that they were more interested in protecting the institution that they work for than the best internist of the child. They even allowed the pervert to continue to use their facilities. At bare minimum they could have kept him from stepping foot on campus ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

How does anyone come on a man raping a kid in a shower and not go in and beat hell out of the rapist???

The grad assistant see it, goes home and talks later to his dad and then Paterno? He doesn't stop it??? He doesn't call the police???

Penn State is full of mentally ill people if this is the mentality there.

Gives a whole new meaning to Paterno saying 'the boys look good today', doesn't it?

Fire Paterno immediately! He let the guys stay around. He did nothing to help the victim. He did not call the police and report this. Just as the Nazi leadership did not get a pass by saying "I was just following the system" Joe doesn't using the same tired old excuse.

He is a dirtbag and the whole Penn State community is part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    There has been a lot of talk about this but I am compelled to play keyboard cowboy and share my opinion as well. First off as I'm typing this I can't help but recall the Duke Lacrosse case. That being said I think this is different in several ways.
    One more difference. In the Duke Lacrosse case, people in positions of power and authority (administration and professors) trampled the rights of innocent students by judging them guilty when there was never any evidence of guilt. In the PSU case, people in positions of power and authority sat on their thumbs while innocent and helpless children were abused.

Man, the more I read and hear about this the more I think Paterno has to go now (either fired or put on suspension) and the game with Nebraska has to be canceled. No way they should play football this weekend, and maybe even the rest of the year. Possibly the worst scandal in college sports history.

Man, the more I read and hear about this the more I think Paterno has to go now (either fired or put on suspension) and the game with Nebraska has to be canceled. No way they should play football this weekend, and maybe even the rest of the year. Possibly the worst scandal in college sports history.
    As bad as this scandal is i don't think that they should cancel any games let alone the season. There are a lot of young men on the football team that have been working their whole lives for the opportunity to play football at this level. Taking that opportunity away from them for something that happened before any of them were involved with the team or at the university would be incredibly unfair and cruel to them.
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

I am watching people chanting Paterno's name in support as we speak on ESPN. That is sickening! I hope nothing like this happens to any of their kids.

But, I wouldn't cancel the football game. If I were PSU as a university, I would fire Paterno and anyone who knew anything about it immediately. I would let the kids play, though. It isn't their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    As bad as this scandal is i don't think that they should cancel any games let alone the season.
    I somewhat agree with you, but what if we found out that Penn State had a history of paying their starting players $1,000 per game, and they had been doing so for the past 15 years? The NCAA would probably shut down the program like when they nailed SMU years ago. This is far worse than paying players.

It just seems unseemly to play the game while all of this is surfacing. I'm a hard core sports fan, and I agreed with the NFL going forward with the games just after 9/11 because it gave everyone a chance to change their focus for a bit. This is a different situation in my opinion. The PSU football machine (as a whole) turned a blind eye to massive abuses over the years, and the machine needs to be shut down for a while until they sort all of this out.

I can certainly appreciate the other side of the argument though; I just don't agree with it.

Paterno's action/reaction/lack of action and lack of empathy and doing nothing for the victims is understandable once you realize one thing. He is Roman Catholic. Look how long it took for them to acknowlede they have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    How does anyone come on a man raping a kid in a shower and not go in and beat hell out of the rapist???

The grad assistant see it, goes home and talks later to his dad and then Paterno? He doesn't stop it??? He doesn't call the police???

Penn State is full of mentally ill people if this is the mentality there.

Gives a whole new meaning to Paterno saying 'the boys look good today', doesn't it?

Fire Paterno immediately! He let the guys stay around. He did nothing to help the victim. He did not call the police and report this. Just as the Nazi leadership did not get a pass by saying "I was just following the system" Joe doesn't using the same tired old excuse.

He is a dirtbag and the whole Penn State community is part of it.
    Really? This is the 2nd time you have made a sweeping generality about the entire school. This is just a bunch of hate that is pent up looking for an excuse to throw venom at the school & the community. There are guys on this board who either grew up there (like me) or went to school there or still live there & I am sure I don't have to speak for them but YOU are completely out of line.

We are talking about 3 men who have been accused (not yet convicted) of crimes. We also have 2 men who have their morals questioned along with the President. There are another 200,000 people living the area who were NOT involved. If there is anyone who sounds like a Nazi here I would say your accusations are an indictment of yourself & twisted viewpoint.

I have already posted my criticisms here about what has happened from what we know. But I can tell you this: Paterno is not a dirtbag. You have no idea what good the guy has done for the school & town & many people's lives directly or indirectly.

Only gutless faceless cowards say the shit you do on the internet.
    Last edited by arm-spin; 11-09-2011 at 03:37 PM.