Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicago Marathon Cancelled

Default Re: Chicago Marathon Cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    That's what happens when people are obese.
    Explain, please.

When my son ran Chicago in 2003, an Ohio gal collapsed at the end of the race and didn't make it. She was a physical fitness expert and was in peak condition.

Yesterday, Cleveland area high school cross country runners experienced problems, with medical attention required for some, and a later race or two actually cancelled.

I guarantee you cross country runners just prior to districts are in top condition.

So, I don't understand the comment about obesity. I think folks should respect long distance runners, in general, and marathoners in particular. It's not only tough to do but physically perilous in it's own fashion.

It requires courage, and courage shouldn't be mocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't see much reason in trying to argue about it...
    Oh I did! I am betting it has something to do with being Christian or they don't train how Big would want them to train.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

In Arkansas (a little farther south and warmer than Chicago), the Little Rock Marathon is usually early, but it is usually in the mid and upper 80s for the Hogeye marathon, and it is always in the 90s or 100s for the Chile Pepper races (5k, 10k, marathon). Marathons in the heat can surely be done, but they're not as much fun as the cooler ones!

I have two friends who ran at Chicago today.

I just checked their times and both were about 1 hr. slower than usual.

It must have been brutal.

Also have a friend who's wife ran last week in Toronto.

They start that one at 7 am to beat the heat.

Maybe Chicago should have bumped up the start time.

Olympic Champ

Come on Steve, you are losing your sense of humor.

What was humorous?

That top runners in peak condition might be forced to seek medical treatment?

That someone dies?

Explain, please.

Olympic Champ

What was humorous is that everyone just went along and ran. The herd principle that many say doiesn't exist. Serious runners should know their limitations and not leave their lives in the hands of officials. That is why I figured they must have been amateurs or…..well….obese.

They paid a hefty entry fee. Lots of out-of-towners descending on Chicago just for that race. When my son ran he had a target time of 2:22 and plenty of reason to try for it.

Of course they would rather run. Plus it's not always readily apparent what the weather may or may not do.

"Serious runners should know their limitations "

If this was the case nobody would do the marathon at all.

"That is why I figured..."

You didn't figure. All you showed is the arrogance (which is what you were demonstrating in your attempt at humor) of ignorance (which you also demonstrate).