Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: National Signing Day!

Default Re: National Signing Day!

Bah humbug

Like you said, many of them will not amount to anything. Let them enjoy their day.

I've also had the opportunity to be working in the football office on signing day a couple of times and watching the letters come through the fax machine. It's a fun time - you have the big board and check off the names and everyone cheers with each letter that comes through.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

PS good example -- a couple years ago, Carolina fans were thrilled when Mike Paulus's letter came in, as he was generally considered the #3 QB in that class behind Claussen and Mallett. Yet as it turns out, our #1 QB has become TJ Yates who never even started in high school.

On the flip side, you have the ones like Hakeem Nicks, Marvin Austin, and Ryan Houston who are living up to all their hype.

So that's the other side of the excitement for me -- wondering which of these kids coming in will be in my avatar a couple years down the road

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    UNC can keep all of these recruits, if some take grey shirts. If a player enrolls in January, instead of August, their schollys count against next years total, and not this years. So, if you have a couple of people who aren't going to see action this year anyways, instead of red shirting them, they can enroll a semester later and not count against this years scholly total. A lot of teams do this if they have the opportunity at a great over sized class.
    So they are enrolling as walkons and paying their freight scholarshipless. They can't accept an academic scholarship if they LOI. I'd call that, bare back, no shirt. FWIW their eligibility clock starts ticking once they register and start taking classes, be it September, January or June.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    So they are enrolling as walkons and paying their freight scholarshipless. They can't accept an academic scholarship if they LOI. I'd call that, bare back, no shirt. FWIW their eligibility clock starts ticking once they register and start taking classes, be it September, January or June.
    That's why they don't enroll until January. The university gives them a workout/lifting schedule for them to do on their own until they can join the team and enroll for classes in January. I had a friend who did it a few years back. He was recovering from an injury suffered at the end of his senior season in high school, so it gave him some extra time to rehab and get back to be able to compete and it didn't cost him or the school any eligibility, plus it let the school sign another kid in his place for the fall.

Rick is correct. Grey shirts can be given for multiple reasons, but whatever that reason is, it is why schools sign more then 25 guys per year. UNC is not trying to screw anyone by signing too many and then deciding who to cut. If you're taking a grey shirt, it is usually decided very early. I don't know who in particular at UNC, but FSU just signed two TEs, and they are both grey shirting. They had greys from last year also, that will start playing this year, with this years recruits.

I believe their clock doesn't start running until they're enrolled full time in classes, which is 12 hours. So a kid could technically start taking classes in the fall and as long as he doesn't go over 12 hours his clock doesn't start.
    Curtis Chenoweth
    wannabe national champ headed to a new home:walkman:

2 out of the 29 on Carolina's published signee list, for example, have already enrolled this this semester (Jan 09).

NCAA Champ

Top recruiting teams according to scout.com

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...view=1&yr=2009

Southern California leads with (10) top 100 prospects and a 3.90 average.

hey tpay -- how's Notre Dame's class?