Thread: Ten Years Later, Bush's Seeds of Encouragement Blossom into Wrestling Success

Default Ten Years Later, Bush's Seeds of Encouragement Blossom into Wrestling Success

Last edited by Gold; 09-06-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Default Re: Ten Years Later, Bush's Seeds of Encouragement Blossom into Wrestling Success

Just throwing it out there so that no one is surprised. If you play politics in this thread I'm going to delete your posts.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: Ten Years Later, Bush's Seeds of Encouragement Blossom into Wrestling Success

Am I the only one who thinks "Bush's seeds" is a funny expression?

While I am glad someone who was reading with the president became a wrestler, I have a bit of a problem with how the coach described the sport.

"I always tell my wrestlers, this is the only sport that will treat you like life will treat you," Curtis said. "People will not be there to help you."

I completely disagree with that. Wrestling teammates are there to help you and I personally haven't had a shortage of people helping me in life either. He seems to be painting a grim picture of the sport and life. Or it could just be me. I actually did like that he told the kid to work out and gain weight instead of dropping a bunch of weight. I just think he makes wrestling and life sound bitter with that statement.

Q,
    As much as I'd like to agree that teammates are important -the INDIVIDUAL wrestler is still alone at weigh-in and out on the mat -those last 2 pounds come off through the will of THAT wrestler ; NESS is a great example-he wrestled very few matches his Sr. year but WON the NCAA through determination and will-AUTONOMY is the greatest thing I learned as a wrestler.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

I understand what he's saying to a point, I just don't like the reference to life. There had to be a more positive way to say it. It's probably just me, but I think telling teenagers that there will be no one to help them in life is a bit much. But, then again, I'm not a coach so who am I to say.

I read the article and I did not see anything that indicates how good of a wrestler Laz is.
    Is he jsut a quality varsity level guy or is he much better?

I thought it was an interesting idea for an article, but I really didn't see what the wrestling had to do with any of it. Wrestling ended up being half the article, but isn't really relevant at all.