Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Discuss Duvel at the Non Wrestling Talk within the Wrestling Talk Forums; So after reading kr and Flop's posts about Duvel, curiosity got to me. I bought ...

Default Duvel

So after reading kr and Flop's posts about Duvel, curiosity got to me. I bought a 4-pack and invited a few friends over for UFC and a beer tasting. It cost around $15 and I didn't get the glass that is supposed to go with it. But, I have got to say that it is a very good beer. I'm not a real connoisseur so I don't know quite how to describe it. I will say it has A LOT of taste. You can smell it from a few feet away too. Like a sweet, fruity smell. It's a beer I would drink with a nice meal. I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on chugging, though.

One buddy brought a 6-pack of Stella Artois. It's a Belgian Lager but not as heavy as Duvel. It's pretty good too and you can chug it. But at $9 a 6-pack, I'm not sure you'de want to. But if you want to try something different, it's pretty good.
    Last edited by quinn14; 08-29-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Default Re: Duvel

This could possibly be the most important thread ever created in the history of this board....

Ok Quinny here's my TOP 20 in no particular order:

Duvel - Belgian White Ale (Have it on tap in a bar in Amsterdam or Brussels & you will see the beer gods)
    New Amsterdam Amber Ale - Domestic from Utica, NY
    Blue Moon - Belgian White from Coors Colorado
    Celis White - Belgian White from Texas
    Oranjebloom - Dutch Pale Lager
    Grolsch - Dutch Pale Lager from a 400 year old Brewery (Known by the porcelain cap)
    Kuppers Kolsch - German Kolsch from Cologne (awesome on tap)
    Lord Chesterfield Ale - APA from Yuengling in Pottsville, PA (I grew up on this until I moved to Austria)
    Spaten Weiss - German Wheat Beer from Munich (Need a Weiss bier glass, turn bottle completely upside down into glass so that the bottle opening is submerged in the beer & then slowly pull up, serve with a lemon slice - awesome)
    Moretti - Italian pale lager (I like to cook with this)
    Lindemanns Framboise (Raspberry) &
    Lindemann's Kriek (Cherry) Belgain Specialty beers (Not sugary sweet but made with fruit, almost like a cognac beer, awesome but not for everyone)
    Kronenbourg 1664 French Pale Lager
    Gosser - Austrian Pilsner (Heavy)
    Pilsner Urquell - Czech Pilsner (Heavier)
    Steigl - Austrian Pale Lager (Not particularly great but I drank it by the case by Junior year of college in Salzburg, the case btw is like a giant plastic milk crate & you have to return the bottles; still better then Bud Or MGD by a long shot)
    Zipfer Urtyp - Very Hoppy Viennese Beer
    DAB (Dortmunder Actien Brauerei) German Pale Lager
    Warsteiner - German Pilsner
    Bitburger - German Pilsner

There is a place in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh (where the University of Pittsburgh is) called the Dirty O's. In the early 80s it had a beer list of like a 100 beers. Unheard of then. Well when I came home from my year studying in Austria I discovered this place & went wild. For Christmas I bought my Dad (a serious Bud drinker) a case of beer where every bottle was different. At 1st here was skeptical to be learning about beer from his 19 year old son but learned him I did.

The next year my dad started taking orders from all the other professors for a "Christmas case". Then once we had 24 orders my dad & I went tot he Dirty O's & bought 24 cases of separate beers (like the list above) & then broke it down into 24 individualized cases. Everyone loved it. He did it for about 10 years before he retired. After awhile he stopped going to PGH & just ordered it from the Beer Distributor in town so we got it cheaper & by the time my Dad was done he would have a few cases left over as "profit". Then he had enough extra beer for the rest of the month.

I actually "stopped drinking" about 22 years ago. I still will have a beer with my Dad at Thanksgiving or a bottle of Champagne at New Years but not too much outside of that besides cooking with red & white wine. But once in awhile I go out while at trade shows & celebrate a productive weekend with a pack of Clove cigarettes & a few rounds of Duvel or whatever else I can find. The world of beer is much different then it was 30 years ago when I first discovered the incredible flavors in European beers. I hope you try some of the stuff I recommended & find it as enjoyable as I have. Rock on...

Impressive list. I've only had 3 of those. Duvel, Blue Moon and Warsteiner. I do not like Warsteiner. But, Jungle Jims allows people to mix and match their own 6-pack so I will try to do my best to try at least one bottle of each. It's a dirty job, but dammit, I'll do it.

Now I am awaiting Flop's list. A man can never do to much research!

Pilsners are generally lighter, drier than a lager like most Americans are used to drinking. There are always better on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Now I am awaiting Flop's list. A man can never do to much research!
    It would be much easier for me to give you a wine list rather than a beer list, because I usually drink wine unless I'm having sushi, Thai food, mexican food, pizza, and some BBQ's. I also can't stand beer that tastes fruity or needs to have fruit added to it. So, my experience is within a bit of a narrow range, but here are a few favorites.

Guinness (#1, nothing else is close)
    Stella Artois (just had a keg of it at our fantasty football draft last Friday, good beer if you plan on drinking 9 or 12)
    Fat Tire
    Kona Longboard
    Blue Moon
    Alaskan Amber
    Sierra Nevada - I like this if I'm only drinking one or two. It's such a hearty beer that makes it difficult for me to drink more than a couple.

Wow! Nice list. I too like the Stella Artois, but yesterday was the first time I've had it. I agree, you can chug 9-12 of them. Haven't tried Alaskan Amber but I love Alaskan Pale Ale. For some reason I think I've had Sierra Nevada, it looks familiar though I don't remember it. Anyway, I will try those too. Thanks for the list.

If anyone else has a list please post it.

Blog Entries

Have any of you ever tried any Seven Brides? They're a fairly small micro brew but if you ever get the chance they're one of the best I've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Have any of you ever tried any Seven Brides? They're a fairly small micro brew but if you ever get the chance they're one of the best I've ever had.
    I have not. But Jungle Jims breaks down micro brews into parts of the country. Should I look towards the northern west? I am assuming it's from Washington.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

user tags

duvel 6 pack