Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More problems for Michigan football...

Default More problems for Michigan football...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...20/1048/SPORTS

U-M receiver Manningham to miss one game for violating team rule

October 3, 2007

BY MARK SNYDER and MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERS

Michigan wide receiver Mario Manningham is not expected to play Saturday against Eastern Michigan after violating a team rule.

Multiple people with knowledge of the violation confirmed his one-game punishment.

U-M coach Lloyd Carr was unavailable for comment, and Manningham's grandfather, Gerald Simpson, said he was not aware of the penalty.

Manningham, a junior who leads the team with 29 catches for 402 yards and two touchdowns, has had an up-and-down season.

He had his best game against Northwestern last weekend with a career-high 10 catches for 123 yards and a touchdown.

But he hasn't been that productive all season.

Before the Notre Dame game, Carr said of Manningham: "I don't think he's played as well as he can."

At the time, Carr would not elaborate, saying, "that's part of coaching. We'll deal with that. He's done some very good things. I just think he's capable of playing better, and I'm confident he will."

Manningham did not start against Penn State but entered on the first series and drew some postgame attention after he did the "worm" dance on the field to celebrate the victory. A video of the dance has drawn more than 17,000 viewers on YouTube.

There were moments early this season when Manningham appeared to be out of sync with the quarterbacks.

On Monday, U-M quarterback Chad Henne identified what he felt was the biggest reason for the offensive inconsistency this year, without pointing out an individual.

"It was more getting on the right page with our receivers, them running the right routes, them going full speed at times and us making smart decisions -- putting the ball where it needs to be," he said.

Two other wide receivers -- Adrian Arrington and Greg Mathews -- have drawn significant praise from Carr this season for their work ethic and effort.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Default Re: More problems for Michigan football...

Did you not see that they used an ineligible player against Penn State also?

Chambers' ineligibility could cost Michigan
    Use of former Snider standout may lead to Big Ten penalties.

From The Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — The Big Ten may take up to three weeks to decide whether to discipline Michigan's football program for using an ineligible player, freshman safety Artis Chambers, from Fort Wayne.

Athletic Director Bill Martin said he didn't know whether penalties, if any, might include forfeiture of the Wolverines' 14-9 victory over then-No.10 Penn State on Sept. 22. It was one of three games in which Chambers played this season.

Chambers is a Snider graduate.

Martin said Saturday that the university immediately contacted the Big Ten after learning that Chambers was ineligible under the conference's freshman rules. Chambers, who enrolled at Michigan in January, cannot play the remainder of the season and did not travel with the team for last Saturday's game at Northwestern. He may still practice with the Wolverines.

Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman declined Monday to elaborate on the process a compliance subcommittee would use in determining possible sanctions against Michigan.

Martin and athletic department spokesman Bruce Madej said Monday that they could not talk about Chambers' case because of privacy laws. Coach Lloyd Carr refused to discuss the situation at his weekly news conference Monday.

Martin acknowledged Saturday that the university had misinterpreted Big Ten freshman eligibility rules.

“Obviously, I take full responsibility for that,” he said. “This isn't on Lloyd — it's on us.”

Martin said he hoped the matter would be resolved sometime this week.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

I did know about that... which is why I said "more" problems for Michigan football....

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

I guess you are Miss Know-it-all aren't you?
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

I see the detox is making you even more cranky than usual. Just when I didn't think it was possible!!

Its just ice cream withdrawal.

Now that could really be embarassing if UM had won those two others games....the potential for 3 forfeits crushing an undefeated season.

Since they lost both....this becomes just another fiasco under Carr hat.

No forfeit

THE INELIGIBLE RECEIVER WAS NOT A FACTOR IN THE OUCOME OF THE GAME PLAYING ONLY THREE OR FOUR PLAYS ON SPECIAL TEAMS. THERFORE THE BIG TEN ALREADY SAID THAT MICHIGAN WILL NOT HAVE TO FORFEIT THE PENN STATE GAME. THE PROBLEM WAS THAT HE WAS ELEGIBLE UNDER NCAA RULES BUT THE BIG TEN HAS A DIFFERENT STANDARD THAN THE REST OF THE NCAA, THAT IS WHERE THE CONFUSION WAS. SO ITS REALLY NOT A BIG DEAL. JUST THE MEDIA HYPE LOOKING FOR A STORY. BUT THE MANNINGHAM THING BLOWS.