Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The War

Default The War

Anyone watching ?

I started off slow last week but the last couple, D Day and Bastogne offered some new material not covered in History or Military Channel documentaries.

I kind of like the angle of looking at the war through the eyes of those affected in 4 small cities, Sacramento, Luverne, MN, Mobile and Waterbury, CT

Default Re: The War

I've been recording it in my DVR but haven't watched it yet.

Looking forward to watching it because I've yet to be disappointed in anything Ken Burns has done
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

I've been DVRing it, too, and catching up slowly, when not watching Dancing With the Stars. It is really amazing.

I wish you guys could hear the stories my Mom has about being a young schoolgirl in War torn England. She grew up in Weymouth, England during WWII.
    She is still to this day a British Subject, never wanted to be a U.S. citizen.
    Mom is full blood English and Dad was full blood Italian. They met while she was here on Vacation and the rest is history.
    http://www.youtube.com/TonyAvallone
    Dad of Karissa 155lb Varsity College Freshman

I knew that you would come around RYou. I do not watch much tv but this is riveting.

What channel is it on?
    Curtis Chenoweth
    wannabe national champ headed to a new home:walkman:

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Stiffy View Post
    What channel is it on?
    PBS
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Olympic Champ

I watched it all day on Sunday. I only have the last episode left to watch. Great stuff.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

What can I say, he blew through several key aspects - Pearl, Coral Sea, The Dolittle Raid, Midway, Wake Island. I had heard there were seven parts, which I thought to be far to few for such a calamity. I had not read any pre-airing detail.

I saw those omissions as gross errors on his part; however, while the main theme remains The War, it is based on the lives of people affected from those four cities, both in battle and at home. An introspective on the war unmatched by any previous chronology.

That is his angle, his differentiator for this piece. He took a while to get there I njow realize he had to wait until those affected in battle were there. But he brought the meat to the plate, he served up an incredible history.