Indianapolis schools continue to fail-WHY ? the top school districts -i.e. Carmel ,Zionsville, are upper middle class, predominately white -East Chicago is mostly a ghetto and I ndianapolis just has NO excuse. Wayne Township and Pike Township were ( as of 10 years ago) middle class to lower middle class.
44.6 % is a travesty .
IMO, much of the blame may be placed on eachers and amins who, in trying to defend their failures, dismiss the value of these tests . The kids hear -I truly doubt they read-that the tests are false indicators and ( after googleing INDICATORS-) just do NOT try.

Indianapolis PublicSchools was among 70 Indiana school districts that saw fewer students pass both math and English on the state ITSEP test this year.
That is a big jump from last year when just 15 districts lost ground. IPS saw just 44.6 percent of its students passing ISTEP, slipping to second worst in the state behind only East Chicago. Last year IPS was third from the bottom.

Two other local districts were near the bottom among 293 Indiana districts -- Wayne Township at 13th worst and Pike Township at 14th worst.

ISTEP is given annually to students in grades 3 to 8. The scores are considered in the state accountability system, which this year will result in school districts receiving letter grades. Those grades are due out in August.

Indianapolis-area districts also dominated the top of the rankings, however.

Carmel remained the state's top scoring district with 92.5 percent of students passing both parts of ISTEP. Other local districts at the top of the state rankings were Zionsville (3); North West Hendricks (4); Hamilton Southeastern (9); Center Grove (11); and Westfield-Washington (14).
Call Star reporter Scott Elliott at (317) 444-6494. Check Wednesday's Indiana