Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's World Cup

Default Re: Women's World Cup

I'm actually pumped to watch the game this morning.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Great game. So, do you think Abby Waumbach gets the cover of Sports Illustrated?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Great game. So, do you think Abby Waumbach gets the cover of Sports Illustrated?
    Her and Hope both have a case(though it wasn't Hope's day necessarily)

I think Abby is more "money."

Putting Rapinoe in was the move of the match, the game was very different immediately. Alex Morgan(though she scored) really blew some opportunities and was almost a liability when we REALLY needed her.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Putting Rapinoe in was the move of the match, the game was very different immediately.
    I probably don't know soccer as well as you do, but I could definitely tell that the whole game changed when Rapinoe came in. France was dominating possession and then it looked like a switch went off with that substitution. Why doesn't she start?

I probably don't know soccer as well as you do, but I could definitely tell that the whole game changed when Rapinoe came in. France was dominating possession and then it looked like a switch went off with that substitution. Why doesn't she start?
    I know soccer, but the not necessarily the idiosyncrasies of our womens team. I think they save her for that change up factor.(Like bringing Manu Ginobili off the bench in the NBA)

She seems too good to not start the whole game, but the only game she did start was against Sweden.(we lost) Lauren Cheney(who is very good) plays her position as well. It's possible her best fit is to bring 30 minutes of energy and excitement. Can't really question the coaching when we've won all these games this way.

I think Pia could have made the move a little earlier as France was really pushing it and we were having NO luck possessing the ball or even getting opportunities.

Absolutely true. Actually every French possession started to get challenged, much more closely, all over the field, unlike earlier. But she was the catalyst, and somehow seemed to inspire a greater defensive effort.

I got in from work late, didn't know who won. I flipped on the TV which was tuned to ESPN2, and saw a replay of the game from about the 4:00 minute mark on. I resisted the temptation to switch to ESPN to get the final score and watched the game "uninformed", as it were. I was sure the French were going to take it when they scored the equalizer. Then Rapinoe came in. When Wambaugh scored on ANOTHER critical header I went nuts.

Great, great stuff.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I know soccer, but the not necessarily the idiosyncrasies of our womens team. I think they save her for that change up factor.(Like bringing Manu Ginobili off the bench in the NBA)

She seems too good to not start the whole game, but the only game she did start was against Sweden.(we lost)
    Well, they started her. I hope it isn't a bad omen.

I'm kind of watching this in the background now. I'm continually amazed at how boring soccer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I'm kind of watching this in the background now. I'm continually amazed at how boring soccer is.
    Not sure why, but I think men's soccer is boring. Women's however is actually watchable and exciting to me. Plus the crowd isn't blowing those annoying horns all the time.