Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attention mathematicians: Help

Default Re: Attention mathematicians: Help

The truth is that 48/2(9+3) is not a good way to write a mathematical expression becuase it so easily can be interpreted different ways.
    Because of the limits of the standard characters on the keyboard, a little extra effort needs to be made when writing expression on the computer to clarify when the intent is.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    The truth is that 48/2(9+3) is not a good way to write a mathematical expression becuase it so easily can be interpreted different ways.
    Because of the limits of the standard characters on the keyboard, a little extra effort needs to be made when writing expression on the computer to clarify when the intent is.
    Excellent answer. If the fraction had been written vertically with 48 over the viniculum (the dividing line) over the 2, it would be obvious whether the factor (9+3) were even with the viniculum multiplying the whole fraction, or in the denominator multiplying only the 2.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Excellent answer. If the fraction had been written vertically with 48 over the viniculum (the dividing line) over the 2, it would be obvious whether the factor (9+3) were even with the viniculum multiplying the whole fraction, or in the denominator multiplying only the 2.
    Never heard that word in my life. Damn show off!

Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Never heard that word in my life. Damn show off!
    Don't tell anyone, but neither did I. I looked it up for my post.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I personally feel the equation is fair and straight forward. I don't see anything ambiguous about it and come to the answer of 288. I just simply followed the order of operations (parens, no exp, then fundamental left-to-right calcs). But what I think is interesting how this equation (no matter one's answer) triggers such fierce and facinaring debate on other boards.

Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

I don't know whether I should be happy that Hitler agreed with me or I should dump my answer and just yell "2"!!