Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jim Tressel Resigns

Default Re: Jim Tressel Resigns

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Sorry, I figured NCAA's modern-day Socrates' words of wisdom were more widespread.
    Thanks VA and Gold. I don't know why I had never heard that before. Not a big fan of Pryor either, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    "So let's get the Ohio Sports fan mentality straight"

Oh horseshit. Ohio fans are no different than fans anywhere else, or from "anytime else".
    Don't recall this kind of hatred when A rod left the Mariners.
    Don't remember Orlando fans burning Shaq jerseys when he left.

Find an example of a superstar leaving his original team that was brought with even NEAR as close hatred and vitriol.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Plenty of Red Sox fans hate Roger Clemens after he went to the Yankees.

Same with Johnny Damon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

"Find an example of a superstar leaving his original team that was brought with even NEAR as close hatred and vitriol."

And I'm saying that was media driven. Hell, high profile members of the media were castigating James. Guys like Charles Barkley were adding fuel to the fire big time.

Neither ARod or Shaq announced their departures on a suspense-filled prime time extravaganza. The media took it and ran with it. There is no parallel.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but I can't believe that you don't think the TV show made a big difference in the attitudes of both fans AND media.

Further nobody interviewed me or anyone like me. Our opinions didn't fit their story lines. Moderating voices coming out of Cleveland were not allowed to dampen the enthusiasm being generated to express disapproval/hate.

In sum, fans from Boston and especially PHiladelphia have a bad rep, but even that is media-driven. I still think fans are basically the same everywhere.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

This whole situation makes me chuckle. Ohio State has been a win at all cost program since Tressel has been around. I've always thought the guy was slimey. Only because I thought that damn sweater vest was a cover up for something. My gut feelings have turned out to be right. Rigging raffles for blue chip recruits, setting up no work "jobs" for players, introducing players to dirty boosters, and trying to cover up this tattoo fiasco have gotten him what he deserves. No job. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a second chance. This was Tressels second chance. He was doing this crap at Youngstown and couldve started over anew at tOSU, but chose to do the same crap.

They should strip all the wins from the record books that had any of these players on the teams. Ohio State will move on. Probably hire Urban Meyer and win more titles, but I wouldn't mind if they went the way of Michigan and struggled for a decade first.

I feel for ya Gold. I know your love for tOSU. The fans are the ones that have been screwed over by this. Jim Tressel caused it all and probably got paid a couple million dollars to leave.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    I still think fans are basically the same everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    This whole situation makes me chuckle. Ohio State has been a win at all cost program since Tressel has been around. I've always thought the guy was slimey. Only because I thought that damn sweater vest was a cover up for something. My gut feelings have turned out to be right. Rigging raffles for blue chip recruits, setting up no work "jobs" for players, introducing players to dirty boosters, and trying to cover up this tattoo fiasco have gotten him what he deserves. No job. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a second chance. This was Tressels second chance. He was doing this crap at Youngstown and couldve started over anew at tOSU, but chose to do the same crap.

You're wrong, Steve. Iowa fans are out of control!

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Plenty of Red Sox fans hate Roger Clemens after he went to the Yankees.
    He went to the blue jays first who are also in their division.(I know not the hated Yankees) So the jokes on the Sox who didn't realize he had left them til he went to the Yankees.

The Red Sox organization was actually correct in cutting loose Damon and Clemens as they were on the downside of their career. Unfortunately for the Sox, Clemens juiced like a mo fo and became lights out for a few years.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    You're wrong, Steve. Iowa fans are out of control!
    Not out of control. Just a little concerned with the lack of integrity surrounding tOSU's all time coach (win pct). Maybe if he wouldnt have cheated to win all those B10 championships, people wouldnt be upset about it.

I do feel bad for ya still Gold. It's tOSU fans that are taking it in the arse. And it's Jim Tressel standing right behind you with a wad of hundies in his mouth.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09