Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Tressel Resigns

Default Re: Jim Tressel Resigns

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    You certainly paint things as objectively as possible.

The hate of Lebron is not good, and I think it has begun to subside. With that said, if Tressel had left Ohio State a few years ago to go coach at some other major program people would be pretty bitter. And these sentiments are not unique to Ohio. There are plenty of people in Morgantown, WV, who aren't too fond of Rich Rodriguez after he left for Michigan. Much like Lebron, he went from hero to hated overnight.

There was a time when even certain Virginians were disappointed in Lebron:

I have a question, what were the question marks on Tressel's integrity when he was hired out of YSU? I'm legitimately asking this; there may be some, I just didn't know about them.

My take on Tressel's situation is this: He brought a lot of good seasons tOSU. Also, despite of what's come out in the last 6 months, he has always represented himself and the university very well. I thank him for these things, and have been happy to have him be the coach. The Buckeyes will be hardpressed to find a replacement that brings so much success and with his demeanor. With that said, as Quinn said, he was caught redhanded and it's appropriate for him to be gone now. Him quitting won't stop any sanctions, though.
    Re: YSU controversy this article has a decent summation: Souls of the departed haunt Youngstown - College Football - ESPN

Regarding my opinion on Lebron, do I root for him? No. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to leave

I never rooted for him in the first place, and he didn't directly give so much to my state, like he did Ohio. The only mistake he made(in my eyes) was the press conference, and people forget that during that press conference Lebron donated 2.5 million to the boys and girls club. After giving it some thought a little bit later, I realized that the Lebron hate was ridiculous and changed my stance somewhat. Though, as I said, I don't root for him necessarily.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Sad. Obviously he screwed up, and it's clear that he's been turning a blind eye for quite a while. Nonetheless, he's always represented himself and the university very well.
    Always? Then where did this situation come from?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Him quitting won't stop any sanctions, though.
    It may lessen them, though. I am sure NCAA people were talking to tOSU people and some sort of a deal got made. Tressel certainly didn't just resign. If they get a 2yr no bowl sanction, it will probably be because they fired him and didn't take a 5yr.

With all that said, I don't think selling something that is yours for money, or anything else, should be illegal. It in no way affected the play on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    With all that said, I don't think selling something that is yours for money, or anything else, should be illegal. It in no way affected the play on the field.
    Everyone kills people.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Everyone kills people.
    I ain't being a smarta** but I truly have no idea what that post means.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Always? Then where did this situation come from?
    Alas, you're right.

I generally stand by the statement though. I'm glad he was the coach, I think he's always conducted himself with humility. He's fallen short of perfection as we all do, made some poor decisions and he's paying for them.

At the end of the day, I like Jim Tressel.

YouTube - ‪Terrelle Pryor Everybody Kills People on Rome Is Burning‬‏

Sorry, I figured NCAA's modern-day Socrates' words of wisdom were more widespread.

"So let's get the Ohio Sports fan mentality straight"

Oh horseshit. Ohio fans are no different than fans anywhere else, or from "anytime else".

The only difference between athletics in the USA and athletics in ancient Rome is the immediacy of media treatment.

Are you going to tell me that fans anywhere else would have reacted differently when subjected to something like "The Decision" on national (and, to an extent, international) TV? Plenty of locals anywhere would be persuaded that going into "hate mode" would be the "thing to do". And the media would be holding their hand the whole way.

And I am not a Lebron hater. And eventhough I catch flack as a Lebron apologist, I don't think I'm as alone in my feelings as you would think. I said then and will repeat now, Lebron would realize he made a mistake with the TV show (I think he has admitted it--which leads to assessment by folks as to whether or not he is sincere) and would lower his opinion of his advisors.

I won't cheer for Miami and CANNOT root for Dallas. Therefore, I don't care who wins this series. But, if Lebron performs miracles and becomes the hero, I wouldn't mind.

His taking a team to the NBA finals, that had absolutely no business being there, is one of the greatest performances in Cleveland sports history. Those are the things that real fans never forget.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.