Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any vegatarians out there?

Default any vegatarians out there?

I have decided that I want to try a semi-vegatarian diet. I still drink milk, eat cheese and eggs. But I have been off the meat for 2 weeks now. I was wondering if anyone knew of a nice restaurant to go to which serves this type of thing. I realize that I could order pasta or something like that at pretty much any restaurant, but I am actually trying to broaden my horizans. My wife said she didn't want to "smell like curry", so I am guessing that Indian food is out. Unless anyone knows how to order Indian food. I worked with a buddy who was Indian and he used to bring a bunch of stuff to work and let us try it. I don't know the names of it, but it was vegatarian and not with curry.

If anyone could tell me what means what in an Indian restaurant, I would be appreciative! Or if anyone knows how to order oriental without rice, I would like that too. I just don't like rice.

Default Re: any vegatarians out there?

Can't say that I am, but best of luck on your lifestyle change! You're a stronger man than I!
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Where are you? Vegitarian restaurants are plentiful in Southern California.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Where are you? Vegitarian restaurants are plentiful in Southern California.
    I am in southern Ohio. My wife and I just searched the internet for options and found a place called PF Changs? I am going to have to ask what "tofu" is though. Honestly, I have about 20 minutes before we have to leave. What does tofu taste like?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I am in southern Ohio. My wife and I just searched the internet for options and found a place called PF Changs? I am going to have to ask what "tofu" is though. Honestly, I have about 20 minutes before we have to leave. What does tofu taste like?
    Tofu on it's own doesn't have much of a taste, it's primarily a meat substitute. PF Chang's is ok, it's americanized Oriental food. The noodle dishes are good there, imo. Rice usually comes on the side, I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm not making any effort to be a vegetarian but I'm finding I eat much less red meat anymore. It feels so heavy and greasy. We eat almost exclusively Asian and if we do eat elsewhere I find myself having only bread and salad.

I feel you PM. I have been having stomach problems for a while now, so I am just trying this out to see if it helps. My cousin went vegetarian about 20yrs ago and he swears by it.

I ended up having something with tofu last night. My stomach feels okay, I just didn't really care for whatever it was I ate. My wife bought a vegetarian cookbook this morning and she's going to try to make something I'll like. (I'm spoiled)

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Hey Quinn...

A few things to consider health wise:

1) What's your blood type?
    I would suggest reading Eat Right For Your Blood Type. Just going vegetarian for the sake of it, in my book is not enough of a good reason, unless you are educated about it. You should understand that in certain cases going strictly vegetarian or even vegan isn't necessarily the best thing.

I am Blood type A. My father was type B, (LOTS of beef & broccoli). For years I ate his diet & hated most of it. When I left home & started to buy foods I liked, I discovered later that I was basically eating MY TYPE A diet. All the veggies my Dad ate I hated & they gave me gas. As well he cooked everything. I eat mine raw OR juiced it in my Vita-Mix (awesome machine)

I have friends who are type O & have tried my diet & similar veggie diets & didn't like them, couldn't handle them & gained weight. Type Os NEED a certain amount of animal protein. Usually they can't handle the HIGH carb diet I have nor the amount of fruits & veggies I eat.

2) Can you handle NO ANIMAL PROTEIN or do you just need to change the amount or how you prepare it?
    I eat a lot of veggie based protein, (again type A stuff like NORI, Japanese seaweed & Blue-Green Algae from Klamath Lake in Oregon) but I still eat low amounts of animal protein, especially free range organic eggs. They are basically natures best natural source of protein. I eat them hard/soft boiled or poached never fried unless I make an omelet. Then I use Organic Coconut Oil (incredible stuff) & never high heat, with lots of sauteed organic veggies.

Anytime I eat Chicken or Beef or Lamb, it is SMALL portions (under 4 oz) & I always marinate them as this not only taste great but basically pre-digests the food. It makes the meat tender & juicy. I also take supplemental enzymes, (helps break down the meat & digest it) & lots of probiotics in addition to lots of fermented foods, (high in probiotics, essential to digestion & the creation of a strong immune system). I tend to broil the meat or grill them, rarely fry them if only sauteed in coconut oil. NEVER deep fried.

3) Are the veggies you eat ORGANIC?
    This is also very important because if you are trying to be healthier eating fruits & veggies full of pesticides & herbicides will just continue to slowly poison you. 99% of the organic labeling these days is USDA Organic. As a point of knowledge, you should know that the USDA grade of organic is really a DEGRADE of the original 1990 California Food Act which was very stringent on what could & could not be called organic. I have not seen the 1990 Organic label in years but you still see another good one OREGON TILTH on labels here & there.

4) Organic Groceries & Restaurants
    I love to go to Whole Foods Market They have a Cold & Hot salad bar that is mostly organic for $6.99/lb. They also have Indian food which I love. Try a Chicken Korma with Basmati Rice for something not so potent or a Channa Masala & Buttered Naan (Indian Bread). They have an extensive Grocery so you make your own stuff as & lots of great cook books to offer. Many corporate restaurants offer a small menu of veggie fare but almost none are organic. Usually you can find online locally owned restaurants that have more of a organic/veggie menu.

Hope this helps.