Thread: Easy Come, Easy Go?

Default Easy Come, Easy Go?

A conversation with my wife last night about some of our past financial blunders brought us some good hard laughs. I wonder if you have any humorous (or semi-humorous) stories you?d care to share? Success stories are welcome too.

Here?s one of our financial Darwinian stories.

Several years ago we were on a vacation that was to take us to a few U.S. cities. Early one morning while in our hotel room packing for an afternoon flight to a new city I placed $800 in cash into an envelope and handed it to my wife as spending money. Later that evening after arriving at the hotel of our new destination she told me she needed some cash because she was ?a little low.? As it turned out she thought the envelope I handed her earlier that morning contained a tip for the cleaning staff at our previous hotel and she left it on the desk of our room on her way out the door.

Default Re: Easy Come, Easy Go?

Brother PM,
    Great story and great to hear from you! Man, I imagine you made several cleaning people VERY happy. It would be great to know if and how a huge tip made a difference in someones life. I imagine it did. So, how long did you give your wife the cold shoulder before forgiveness set in?

It's great to hear from you too, Brother Morris. How have you been?

Who are you kidding, my friend. As a married man you know as well as I that I was completely in the wrong. After much grovelling she finally forgave me. I may outweigh her by nearly 110 pounds, but if she says I made a mistake by golly I made a mistake!

Here's another story.

On my first visit to China we stayed in a Beijing hotel while visiting family, touring some sites and shopping (and doing even more shopping). Exhausted from the smothering August China heat we were in our room resting. As my wife was taking a nap I was under strict orders not to leave the hotel and preferably not to leave the room. Craving a cup of coffee and some fruit I order room service and it arrived at our door promptly. I paid the bill in Chinese currency and was quite proud of myself for my first solo, unsupervised purchase. Employing meticulous care I counted out the tip in three crisp Chinese bills snapping each between my fingers as I laid them prominently into the palm of hospitality attendant?s hand. He left with a smile and polite nod.

Later relating the story to my wife she demanded I show her the ?crisp bills? I had given as a tip. As it turned out each bill was only one Chinese yuan: lo and behold, Mr. World Traveler had just given a whopping 39-cent tip. Grabbing me by the wrist my wife dragged me to the lobby like a schoolboy where I pointed out the hospitality attendant so she could explain, apologize and give him a proper tip. Apparently this da bi zi provided plenty of laughs for the staff during our stay.

By the way, you pay a premium for coffee in China. A cup of joe can cost between $8-$10 with no refills.

Olympic Champ

I've never been one to keep money under the mattress (what got Stringbean killed), but when I was in my early 20s, for some reason I had about $550 in my billfold (a ton of money in those days). I was visiting a friend out of town, and we went to a bar where I sat on a stool. Guess what? The billfold in my back pocket flopped out onto the floor and I didn't even notice. Fortunately the bar found it and called me (long distance) the next day. They wanted a reward though. I felt pretty stupid.

As you may surmise, I'll always have a story to tell. I have seconds thoughts on writing this one, but what the heck, you'll have a laugh.

When our kids were 2, 4 and 6 a neighbor came to the front door selling church raffle tickets, $10 a pop. Well, we weren't well off but not paupers either and I ended up buying one. I wrote my wife's name on it, don't know why, but I did.

Low and behold about a month later, someone calls my wife and tells her she won a $2,500 trip, any destination. Of course she doesn't believe the lady even when she said it was from our church. She proceeds to tell the lady that she never bought a ticket and it is mistake. Later after the kids are in bed she tells me about the call. I owned up to the purchase. Well, first she was pretty PO'd aty me for not telling her, then was she embarassed. The next day she called to apologize to the lady from the church and ask if they gave the prize away. We got lucky, the lady couldn't believe the reponse and had planned to have the pastor present the prize after church the next Sunday.

That's just the beginning. $2,500 was a bundle for trip back then so we decided to fly the kids to Disney World. Had a great week.. We had so much fun we tried to stretch it out the morning we were to leave. We ended up rushing back to the hotel in order to run off to the airport. I handed my wife the plane tickets to hold in her purse.
    Well, the kids were acting up and before she placed them in her purse she placed them on the bureau. I didn't notice and she forgot.

So we head to the airport. I drop her and the kids off and then return the rental car. When I catch up to them it's about 45 minutes till departure. We go to check in and I ask for the tix. Nope, not in the purse. Oh shiite !

I try checking in without the tix; nope won't let us even though I show proof of who I am an explain the situation. This is back when they only had paper tickets. The counter lady tells me the flight is sold out, but I could buy one way seats on the last flight in 7 hours ! and for full fare $500+ x 5 = $2,500+ ! The full value of our prize but in our cash. We really couldn't afford that hit.

I know, I'll go back to the hotel, surely the maid found them, better yet she probably hasn't cleaned the room yet. So I head back to the car rental and try to get my rental back since I paid for the day and had plenty of time left. No go, won't do. I rent another car. I literally fly back to the hotel. I explain the situation to the manager. He gets the master key and we go over. CRAP, the room is clean. I ask for the housekeeper, surely she has her trash bag. CRAP - it's in the dumpster. YUP - the manager freaked when I climbed into the dumpster and started shredding the garbage. 1/2 hour, 1 hour - and now I have a crowd watching. DANG can't find the tickets. I finally reconcilled I wasn't going to find them.

I climb out as the manager returns with a wet and dry towel.....and he starts apologizing for the stupidity of his housekeeper. Huh ? He proceeds to give me a card with the telephone number of the company insurance manager and tells me to call her. He tells me that the hotel will replace the tickets. Huh ?

I head back to the airport, I return the car. 3 1/2 hours have passed. 3 hours of rental car and the freakin rental agency wants to charge for a full day plus gas. I didn't have anything left to argue with them.

My wife is alone in the airport with three little kids and at this point they are pretty bored and cranky. She is nearly in tears. "Where the hell have you been ? You've been gone 4 hours?" Oh....Shiite! "Here, you take them I have to go to the bathroom"

So I head to the ticket counter to go buy the tickets, kids and baggage in tow. (they liked riding the baggage cart, it was the only way I could rein them in and the baggage ).

I couldn't believe it, the hotel had already bought the tickets and I had never even taken the time to call the insurance manager.

We finally get to sit near the gate adn she asks " How are we going to pay for these tickets?" and I said, well you're not going to believe this but......

She made me go change my clothes in the mensroom.

Tale No. 2

Weareselling my first house and relator is holding an open house. I tell my wife to hide her jewelry which she does.

Next day, she tells me she can't find her engagement ring, someone must have stolen it. So I tell her to keep looking, she the little box is there but the ring is gone. I asked didn't you hide it ? She says she was wearing the ring and must have taken it off after the hide everything ( believable? sure). All of the other hidden jewlery was where she put it.

We call the realtor and explain the problem. I report the apparent theft to the police and they tell us they have been experiencing the problem recently. I report the theft to the insurance company. They tell me the will replace the ring. 2 weeks later they send over a jeweler and we pick out a replacement.

Fast forward 3 years, my wifey's aunt and uncle are visiting from Texas. My wife pulls out a box of photos from when the kids were babies. She unwraps a tissue and there it is ...The Ring .

Next day I call the insurance company to report the find. I couldn't believe it, the lady tells me the date of loss is older than 3 years and they discard their property loss information after 3 years. They have no record of the claim and can't take the ring back. Huh ?

For the longest time we didn't know what to do with it. Sell it ? nah, wouldn't be right. One Sunday my wife just dropped iit into the collection plate.