Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a wuss!

Default I am a wuss!

I have been wrestling/grappling for 33 years now. Today, I woke up with my first cauliflower ear. It hurts and I want my mom!

Seriously though, has anyone ever drained one? Do you go to a doctor or just pop it like a blood blister?

Default Re: I am a wuss!

Better see the doctor. If you drain it yourself, without bandaging it to hold the ear flat, it will re-fill and you start all over again. And see the doc soon. The fluid sets up pretty quickly and won't drain. Then you are in for a real problem - or a life-time badge of ugly.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Ughhh! Thanks for the response. I was kind of hoping I could just bust it myself. But you sound like you know what you're talking about. I guess I will get on the phone and make an appointment. I also may become the first person, I've ever heard about, wearing headgear in judo.

If you are interested in deflating it yourself (you will actually need someone to do it for you) here are some pointers: http://www.cauliflower-ear.com/cauliflower_blog/

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Ughhh! Thanks for the response. I was kind of hoping I could just bust it myself. But you sound like you know what you're talking about. I guess I will get on the phone and make an appointment. I also may become the first person, I've ever heard about, wearing headgear in judo.
    Ha!
    I just wore head gear for the first time in over twenty years becasue my ear was starting to bother me from Ju-Jitsu.
    As far as judo, I took a wrestling trip to Japan in the lates 1980's and went to visit the Kodokan (the original Judo school and an international training center) and I saw about a half dozen guys wearing headgear there and they were all European.

Well, that sucked! My doctor is actually a former college football player and powerlifter, so when I told him what was up he agreed to get me in. The condition was that he was going to teach one of his MA's how to do it. So, there I sat with him coaching a girl maybe 20 or 21, on how to drain my ear. The guy in the video above took it much, much better than me. I know I closed my eyes and was even told by doc not to twitch. The "ewww" that slipped out of the MA's mouth didn't help much either. Basically, they jammed a needle into the part of my ear that already hurt. It is bandaged now and at least I don't feel it throb with every heartbeat. And I just found my son's high school headgear in the basement and I have thrown it into my judo bag. I ain't doin' this again!

definitely don't do it yourself -- you'll probably end up making it worse. I used to get so sick of the kids I worked with trying to do it themselves -- I was at a national tournament once and one of the medical staff was draining ears, so I had them show me how to do it "right" -- from then on I always kept a supply of syringes, etc, and would take care of the kids myself.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Next time, man up and wear the badge!! lol
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Quote Originally Posted by stardust
    definitely don't do it yourself -- you'll probably end up making it worse. I used to get so sick of the kids I worked with trying to do it themselves -- I was at a national tournament once and one of the medical staff was draining ears, so I had them show me how to do it "right" -- from then on I always kept a supply of syringes, etc, and would take care of the kids myself.
    Yea, I noticed you don't require headgear at Super 32. Why is that? I can't understand why head gear isn't required at all youth events. If it's required in HS and College, why not at the youth level including freestyle and greco?

When I was coaching we required head gear whenever a foot was on the mat during mat time. Anyone caught without it sat for the practice of was withdrawn from an event. The last thing we wanted was some Mom beefing on us about a kid's ear.
    Last edited by RYou; 02-04-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.