Thread: Video editing software

Default Video editing software

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good free video editing software. I've used Premire (several versions), iMovie, Windows Live Movie Maker, and Pinnacle Studio 10. I don't need to do a ton, and I actually liked Pinacle, but when we got Windows7 Pinacle does not support it and without paying for the "new" version it won't work. I don't dislike windows movie maker, though it doesn't do much it gets the job done, but I'd like to find one with a timeline view instead of a storyboard view.

The main use for this is going to be to make highlight videos for my wrestlers, and short home movies. I also help out with the Boy Scouts to make short movies about our trips and occasionally we'll shoot a movie with an actual plot.

I've come across this link (Top 5 Free Video Editing Software Programs)but I'd like some input from others if there is any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Default Re: Video editing software

I have been doing highlight videos for a long time. I prefer to use and would recommend iMovie and Final Cut Express.

Final Cut Pro would be even better but it is currently far out of my price range.
    If we don't fight hard enough for the things we stand for, at some point we have to recognize that we don't really stand for them.

~Paul Wellstone~

I've used iMovie before, but it doesn't offer a timeline view. I've also used Final Cut Pro (never used the Express) and I love the program. My biggest problem is that I've spent a lot of time using top of the line products and it's tough to find one that will do what I want at a price I can afford.

I think I found it with Camtasia though, I haven't used it much yet but I like what I've seen so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

I'm not sure what version of iMovie but I believe iMovie HD 06' has the timeline feature you want. When working with iMovie I use multiple versions because features offered change from version to version... so I use one version or another for whatever video features that I wanted and blend them together in the final edit.

Final Cut express is a much cheaper version of Final Cut Pro with of course less features then the pro version. However for most video users Finial Cut Express offers "IMO" everything you would need to put out a very professionally appearing video.
    If we don't fight hard enough for the things we stand for, at some point we have to recognize that we don't really stand for them.

~Paul Wellstone~