Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wes Welker nearly killed

Default Wes Welker nearly killed

Did anyone see the hit Ryan Clark put on Wesley Welker?

It was one of the most vicious hits I've seen in a long time.

Couldn't find a good video clip.

Default Re: Wes Welker nearly killed

It was a monstrous hit, and probably uncalled for.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyhSPd-TK1o

Here's a crappy Youtube clip.

I don't see how you can really fault Clark that much as the tip by Polamalu and his hit on Welker probably came within about a second and a half of each other. No way could he have pulled up.

Regardless, the Commissioner will probably come calling for some money tomorrow.

I disagree. Especially since Clark left his feet.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

If Polamalu doesn't tip the pass Clark, Welker, and the ball would have met at roughly the same time and we very likely aren't even having this conversation.

Your expectations are awfully unrealistic if you expect someone to be able to go from full speed to nothing in that second and a half window that Clark had from when Polamalu tipped the ball and he hit Welker.

Still shoulder to helmet too.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    If Polamalu doesn't tip the pass Clark, Welker, and the ball would have met at roughly the same time and we very likely aren't even having this conversation.

Your expectations are awfully unrealistic if you expect someone to be able to go from full speed to nothing in that second and a half window that Clark had from when Polamalu tipped the ball and he hit Welker.

Still shoulder to helmet too.
    I think you're underestimating the situation. I think the guy saw the ball, and took his free shot thinking the refs would be thinking like you do. Besides for that, it's not like he maintained his speed, he increased it and launched himself at him.

It's football, Nancies. They're playing at the highest level, with the best athletes hitting each other. Hits like that are going to happen. It was clean, and got the job done. They get paid a lot of money to take hits like that.

He increased his speed at the last second and launched himself to try and separate Welker from the pass that he thought was on its way. If it had been helmet to helmet I'd be right there with you, but it wasn't. It was all shoulder.

I watched the hit again a few times and there just isn't enough time for Clark to deliberately decide to cheapshot Welker AFTER seeing Polamalu tip the ball.

You really must think Ryan Clark is Super Man because some of these expectations are ridiculous. Quite frankly I'm surprised too, as I assumed you thought Brent Metcalf was Super Man.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    He increased his speed at the last second and launched himself to try and separate Welker from the pass that he thought was on its way. If it had been helmet to helmet I'd be right there with you, but it wasn't. It was all shoulder.

I watched the hit again a few times and there just isn't enough time for Clark to deliberately decide to cheapshot Welker AFTER seeing Polamalu tip the ball.

You really must think Ryan Clark is Super Man because some of these expectations are ridiculous. Quite frankly I'm surprised too, as I assumed you thought Brent Metcalf was Super Man.
    He's a safety. He's playing the the man AND the ball. He has to be to be timing it the way you are talking about. He sees the ball go flying, but he still launches it. You are completely underestimating the athletic ability and reflexes of these guys. Even the announcers, who most often say those hits are "clean and part of the game" were saying it was a bit of a dirty hit. I'm not some nancy, on this board I was defending Hines Ward's hit on Keith rivers earlier this season. This individual hit just happens to be dirty.