Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spay/Neuter Contract for dogs

Default Re: Spay/Neuter Contract for dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Champ Kind View Post
    Well the new dog will be the girlfriend's dog, not mine technically. I figured a dog would be cheaper(both now and in the long run) than a ring.
    Ha ha ha, you sound like someone else I know that used that same strategy.

It's quite the international household you have going there now.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Frenchies are wonderful dogs! Loyal, loving, and great with children (most of them). Long, long ago in a land far away I raised and showed Frenchies. There are a few problems with them you should be aware of - they can be same-gender aggressive, especially the females. I would not try to introduce a female into a household with a female dog. They can be pretty strongly prey-driven, making them questionable around cats and other small pets. (H3ll on wheels for keeping rabbits out of the garden, though!) They don't handle heat well. Like most brachycephalic dogs, heat exacerbates the various breathing difficulties they have. It also means they snore like a chainsaw! They can be subject to dry skin, which will envariably lead to them developing really bad doggy odor. Most people react by bathing (to get rid of the smell) which dries out the skin, which causes the odor, which leads to bathing, etc.
    If you are considering a French Bulldog as a pet, not a show animal, you might want to look into rescue dogs. http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/index.html If you are looking for a show animal, you need to go to the dog shows and talk to the people there about aquiring a dog - get ready to spend A TON of money, not just on the dog but on the whole show routine.
    For general information, including breeders, try http://www.frenchbulldogclub.org/

Meanwhile, could I interest you in a nice greyhound?

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Thanks for the info. I would like a greyhound, but I don't have the room for one.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

OK, you asked for it!

Actually, greyhounds are great apartment dogs - we call them 45 MPH couch potatoes. What they do, all day, is sleep. When at the track, they live in a 2 ft by 4 ft box 22 hours a day. They are out 4X for 30 minutes each to poop. So they are used to not having a lot of exercise. They need a 20 minute walk each day for good health, but my doctor says I need that also. A lot of greys can't be turned off-leash unless they are in a fenced area - baseball diamonds are great! Mine return when called so I can let them run on the beach and in open fields - still has to be away from traffic. The running is for MY pleasure more than the dogs - a lot of time they won't run, they just walk along with me. But it is such a beautiful thing to watch when they go!

Greyhounds doing what they do best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cb_...nds&emb=0&aq=f]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1w1fh-l3s
    Last edited by M Richardson; 11-29-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Oh, they can probably take care of that squirrel problem you have, too!

Good Idea but she will probable get both, because they control half the cash and all the P***Y!

Probably something you already know, but check out www.perfinders.com

There are so many purebred and mixed breed dogs available that people have dumped. There is still a cost involved and normally you have to agree to spay or neuter the dog.

Our little Ginny was dumped in a kill shelter and, while she is no show dog, has proven to be a delight. As well as a pain to Tic Tac, our other Keeshond.

Those fur challenged Greyhounds are also wonderful family dogs.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

M Richardson -- in your experience how are the greyhounds as far as their health? Being overworked at the track I always wondered about them, and b/c of the way they are built I would be worried about them messing up a knee, etc. I know I am not the only one, since most lurchers are crossed to dogs with heavier bone. Anyways, I love the dogs and if all I wanted was a pet they would be on my short list. You didn't mention that they are extremely quiet even when they are not asleep

Very quiet! I have never heard Roxanne bark. Cyrano barks in play - and over the last 6 months has begun to take on duties as a watchdog which includes barking (once or twice) when someone comes to the door.
    Rescued greys live to about 12 or 13 - I have met 15 year olds. The health varies from dog to dog. If you get one through a greyhound rescue, they should have taken care of any medical needs before adoption and be able to give a very good picture of any problems a given dog might face. (Right now all of the dogs coming from Phoenix are heavily infested with hookworm. It takes forever to clear up.) Some dogs come from the track with major injuries, some are remarkably healthy. Cyrano raced to the manditory retirement age of 5. We adopted him shortly thereafter. He is a picture of glowing good health. Roxanne retired out slightly earlier and was then used for breeding. She is in good health except for her teeth - peridontal trouble that requires that I brush and rinse her teeth after meals.
    A major health problem for greys seems to be cancer - particularly bone cancer in the legs. It is not uncommon to see a "tripod" and I have even seen videos of greys missing two legs still getting around.
    It is also possible to adopt greys that have had no time at the track - 2 and 3 year olds - and dogs with only a few races. Homestretch Greyhound Rescue (http://www.homestretchgreys.org), where I adopted my pair, recently took in a 10 year old who had been used for breeding for 5 years after she retired. Her kidneys were failing so the breeder let her go. She had one month of living as a pet before she "crossed the rainbow bridge".

One of the things we wanted was adult dogs. I didn't want to go through puppy training, shoe and furniture chewing, and housebreaking. Younger greyhounds are more energy, and very young ones are puppies with all the energy that implies.
    Last edited by M Richardson; 11-30-2008 at 02:22 PM.