Thread: OnStar celebrates 100,000 Car Accidents

Default OnStar celebrates 100,000 Car Accidents

OnStar's 100,000 Crash Response Milestone

Sure... they are reporting accidents and likely saved lives, but they are also using 100,000 + people's car accidents, some of them probably fatal, as a marketing tool.

Last edited by Schlottke; 11-18-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Default Re: OnStar celebrates 100,000 Car Accidents

It's a neat service. I had it free for one year 'cept the cost of the car phone calls. The service (which I got free) was $17.95 / month excluding the cost of calls which was much higher than traditional cellphone costs. I never made a call using the system since I have a cell.

If I didn't spend the majority my time in populated areas, the benefit might outweigh the cost, particularly if you live a remote area prone to ice and snow and snaky roads. They have since linked with the Verizon Wireless Family plans so you can call within Verizon plan and not use your Verizon minutes. You're still paying for the Onlstar call.

Now if they had Sirius radio built in.....
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

OnStar is becoming less and less useful with the price of GPS navigation systems coming down significantly. I still have their accident alert system activated, but have canned the phone and driving assistance packages. The phone service should simply have bluetooth connectivity and allow any phone to work with the system & the driving directions are awful compared to a GPS.

Hopefully I never need to use the accident response system, but you are right- it's nice if it ever is used.

Your original point is valid, though.

I can't help but think of a parallel by seeing an ad that would say, "Johnson's Funeral Home...Three thousand deaths and counting..."
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

People are dying to get into Johnson's Funeral Home
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.