Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am now the happy owner of an iPhone!

Default Re: I am now the happy owner of an iPhone!

How is the service out in the boonies where you live?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    How is the service out in the boonies where you live?
    I knew I'd regret giving you my address. And it's not the boonies, it's right on the edge of the boonies. But the service is just fine, thank you very much.

The weird thing today though, when I got to work, I tried connecting to the web on the phone. And apparently it's picking up the school wi-fi network instead of the 3G network, so the same sites that are blocked on the school computer are blocked on my phone. Is that supposed to happen?
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

If you have the phone set to automatically join known networks it will. Just go in and turn off Wi-Fi or the join known networks function.

Which is under settings and then Wi-Fi.

BTW you never gave me your address, You just said it was by some marsh or swamp. Which I assumed was the boonies. Which I know now is the edge of the boonies. :duh:

I'd hardly call the Eno River a swamp, but whatever.

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

:footinmouth:Maybe you said marsh.

I was a long term Sprint customer and switched to AT&T once the 3g iPhones were released. For the most part I'm very pleased with the iPhone but have some issues I suspect are hardware related. We actually bought two iPhones and replaced my wife's within the 30 day AT&T window due to hardware. Her phone seems fine now but I'm looking to swap out the sim card in mine and if the problems persist the Apple expert at the MOA said they will replace my phone.

I'm not impressed with the quality of the AT&T network. We're still working out the high dropped call issue but Sprint still has AT&T beat on call clarity and dependability, at least in my experience. However, if you are not in a metro area or on a major freeway Sprint is limited in coverage and AT&T seems definitely better.

The difference between 3g and the Edge is dramatic and if I were a customer outside the 3g area I probably would lean away from making the switch.

But I continue to be amazed with the iPhone and the apps. Putting some issues aside (which I am confident will be resolved) I am very happy overall.

What free and purchased app are you using?

I use:
    Flight Status (purchased): Very nice flight status info along with gate and baggage info.

The Weather Channel (free): Excellent local weather info, video reports and severe weather updates.

AOL Radio (free): I like to listen to live radio and classical stations so this works best for me. I can listen to KCBS out of SF (but usually listen to KGO via my workstation).

Pandora (free): I don't use it too much because I've found AOL Radio meets my needs better. Many people like Pandora over most players though.

Dictionare (free): Nice dictionary.

Wikipanion (free): Nice encyclopedic type reference.

iTV (free): Don't use it much but seems to be very handy if one needs local tv channel and movie theater schedules.

U.S. Constitution (free): Nice reference to read to protect oneself from having their rights abridged.

What apps do you find useful?
    Last edited by pm01; 11-17-2008 at 11:39 AM.

I do not have the iphone but i do have the ipod touch and I love everything it can do. I was thinking about switching my phone service to ATT when my contract expires or just buying out of it in a month or two. What do you all think would be better ATT or Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    What do you all think would be better ATT or Verizon?
    Mostly depends on the coverage each provides where you live. As PM said, if you aren't in an area where you can get the 3G coverage, the iPhone won't do as well. Go to the AT&T website and check out the coverage viewer, and then pull up the 3G area (shaded in blue).

PM - I haven't had a chance to check out the app store yet but I'll let you know if I come across anything cool.

Both Verizon and AT&T will be using the 4g platform by 2010. While AT&T migrated to 3G, Verizon is in the process of a system-wide 4G rollout in the 1st quater of 2010. This will allow devices to be transfered between networks and should provide savings for customers as the two giants continue their battle for market share.