Thread: The power of Mother Nature

Default The power of Mother Nature

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070407...d_070407125221

An earthquake lifted some of the Solomon Islands 10's of meters upward.

And people in California think they live and work in earthquake proof buildings.

----------

When the San Andreas slips, it will be the most damaging natural disaster the world has ever seen.
    The San Andreas fault is the proverbial 500lb. gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

NCAA Champ

I'll take an earthquake any day over a hurricane or tornado.
    Where I live in So-Cal it's usually over in a few seconds with very minor damage.

Those small tremors you are talking about aren't the San Andreas moving.

The last time it moved was 1906.

You should know this if you live in SoCal.

NCAA Champ

I assume you are refering to the San Francisco quake of 1906 (7.6 Richter Scale), which by the way does not lie atop the San Andreas Fault. I do remember the 'small tremors' of the San Fernando (1971, 6.7) and the Northridge (1994, 6.6) quakes which are 35/40 miles from my home. The San Andreas is about 70 miles from the it's closest point to my home.
    My previous post states that I would rather experience an earthquake then a Hurricane or Tornado and damage is minor where 'I live'.
    I live in an area that lies over an old river bed, the water table is normally shallow, in turn when an earthquake strikes we mostly 'rock & roll' with the movement, thereby causing only minor damage to the mostly single story homes in our community.
    You should know this if you lived in SoCal.

http://geology.com/articles/san-andreas-fault.shtml