Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had my dog put to sleep today

Default Had my dog put to sleep today

It's about the most emotionally devastating experience of my life. Good lord, why do we take in pets...
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Default Re: Had my dog put to sleep today

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    It's about the most emotionally devastating experience of my life. Good lord, why do we take in pets...

I feel for you Zapp. I had to do it myself not to long ago and I felt the same as you. I hope you know that you gave your pet a great life.

It has always been a wonder to me that an act so loving and caring can be so painful. Why do we "give our heart to a dog to tear"? Because life without dogs is even worse. One of the things we can do to pay the dog back for all they give us is give them release from their pain. You did the right thing.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Sorry to hear that Zapp, having to put a dog down is really rough. My dogs are 13 and 11, and I've just now started to think that the day may be coming soon, even though they both seem to be in good health.

I'm sorry Zapp. I had to do that with one of my cats a few weeks ago, right after I found out the other cat has cancer, so I'll have to go through it again before too long.

The vet gave me a copy of this poem called The Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

I've done it twice with Dogs and twice with cats. Never an easy thing. Hang in there.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Thanks for all the kind words folks.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Olympic Champ

I have done this several times and it never ever gets any easier. My Golden doesn't have long, and she is so sweet; it seems like just yesterday, as a puppy, she ate two recliners, a couch, a feather pillow, a bean bag chair, and countless socks. Now she serves as a kittens warm place to sleep.

Cherish the memories of your dog. I have a gazillion stories and memories of all of mine, and the memories live long after the heartache eases.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Not a fun thing, I'm so sorry for you. Putting down my dog was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.