Thread: Ipod question

Default Ipod question

Is it possible to have 2 different ipods connected to the same computer and share itunes?
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

Default Re: Ipod question

yes, I have two different ipods plus my iphone synched to my computer. But if you do that, all of them will have the same music that's in your music library on your computer. As in, if your friend has their own music library but they want to plug into your computer and get your music, but still keep their own, you can't do that. Unless something has changed in the last couple of months that I'm not aware of.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

You can change your itunes settings so that you choose which songs go into a particular ipod, or which songs you rip from an ipod.

For example, I have a 30GB ipod and my nephew has a 2GB shuffle. Before I hook his shuffle into my computer, I go in and change my itunes settings so that I have to choose each and every song or playlist he wants to add to his ipod. I do this for two reasons. 1) I have 20GB of music currently in my itunes, so it obviously won't all fit on his pod 2) I'm sure he doesn't want any Muddy Waters or Wynton Marsallis on his ipod.

If you purchased the songs from itunes, you have a limited number of computers and devices that you can upload songs into. It used to be 5 devices a few years ago, but I don't know if that's changed.

Rick -- I knew that about selecting which songs, playlists, etc you upload... but when you do that onto your nephew's, doesn't it override anything else he might already have loaded on there? Like if he has a song that is not in your library, when you download the music you select for him onto his shuffle, that song he already had is gone?

I have 2 different ipods, a 40 GB that has all my music on it, then a smaller lighter nano that just has my dance music for when I'm practicing. My teacher and I have tried to share our music in the past but we can't do it directly onto our ipods without replacing what we already have. So what we've had to do is burn cds with the mp3 files, then import them into our own iTunes, then load them onto the ipods. We haven't been able to figure out a way to add music to our own ipod without erasing the existing music.

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

I don't know about that Stardust. I can't say that I've tried to do it in the way that you described. You're more of a mac pro than me, so I'll take your word for it. Anytime I try to share music, the person has a PC, so I have to do the old burn to disk method.

I don't think you can hook a pc formatted ipod into a mac w/o the ipod having to be reformatted. Do you know if that's true?

I know you couldn't do the PC/Mac thing several years ago but I haven't tried it in the last few years so I don't know.

thanks, Im a newbie to the ipod stuff.

in changing the settings, you mean from auto to manual sync?
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

yes, you have to change it to manual sync, if you want to be able to pick and choose which songs are on which ipod. Otherwise it will attempt to load everything onto the ipod exactly how it is on your itunes.

Stardust - I should clarify that my nephew doesn't have a computer of his own, so he just uses my itunes as his source for ipod music. I'll have to borrow his ipod and do a couple of experiments using my ibook and my sister's to see what happens.

Therick is right. We do it all the time. You create playlists and manually choose them. There's a new choice too, where you can choose by artist.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln