Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: An obvious reason Weiss should go

Default An obvious reason Weiss should go

Not that there really needs to be another reason for ND to make a change....but, I was struck by the similarity between post game comments by UCONN and Navy coaches about ND being predictable and apparently unable to make mid-game adjustments.

Here are the two comments I'm talking about:

Remember the infamous "decided schematic advantage" quote? Connecticut coach Randy Edsall put that to shame by admitting that his team made very few adjustments on defense after the first drive. Edsall said the Huskies had noticed Notre Dame's tendencies from the shotgun and under center from studying film.

"We just stayed with what we did," Edsall said. "We played a little more three-deep zone. But the whole game plan was, when they were in the gun, we were going to bang the crap out their two outstanding receivers."

Obviously, Weiss is good at drawing up a game plan, but it's equally obvious that he is either unable or unwilling to adjust when that game plan is being shut down.

Quote #2:

Following the game, Niumatalolo said the Navy coaches expected the Notre Dame coaches to use a similar defensive scheme as in 2008 when the Irish held the Midshipmen to 178 yards rushing in a 27-21 loss.
    "I think the one thing that helped us, and I really hope this doesn't come across wrong, but I think the thing that helped us this year was last year because we knew that they'd line up the same way," Niumatalolo said.

Both of these comments illuminate the fact that Charlie and Co. simply get out coached. Not just on defense, but on offense as well.

Default Re: An obvious reason Weiss should go

One more reason: Weiss blew off the woman field reporter from the Notre Dame Network after the game.

Still one more reason: As long as there's speculation about Weiss' career, there will be rampant speculation that the man who will take his place will be Brian Kelly (no, not the father on Flipper I suppose there's this kind of wild media coverage in other cities with some college football team. Intrepid reporters should camp out at the airport at South Bend to watch arrivals and departures.

Mark

Notre Dame as a university needs to realize they will never be a national power in football again.

They are too academically rigorous and will never land enough top recruits. They are located in cold South Bend, Indiana. They are a religious institution which is not particularly appealing to top athletes.

Any team with a 94% graduation rate will not be a power, not ever.

Notre Dame has to face the facts that they will never compete with Florida, USC, LSU's of the world with their academic standards and location. It's a sad reality.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

When he admits himself he should probably be canned, that's a sign.

“If they decide to make a change, I’d have to say I’d have a tough time arguing with them,” he told reporters Sunday.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...yhoo&type=lgns

... waiting for tpay to chime in with his customary line ...
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Notre Dame as a university needs to realize they will never be a national power in football again.

They are too academically rigorous and will never land enough top recruits. They are located in cold South Bend, Indiana. They are a religious institution which is not particularly appealing to top athletes.

Notre Dame has to face the facts that they will never compete with Florida, USC, LSU's of the world with their academic standards and location. It's a sad reality.
    I'll have to disagree with you The issue at ND is execution and coaching. They're getting their share of top tier recruits. Once they are back on a winning track they'll get some additional big time recruits.

In contrast, Michigan isn't getting the recruits. Check out this year's lineup on Rivals. No where near the talent level Lloyd Carr was drawing in and screwing up.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    I'll have to disagree with you The issue at ND is execution and coaching. They're getting their share of top tier recruits. Once they are back on a winning track they'll get some additional big time recruits.

In contrast, Michigan isn't getting the recruits. Check out this year's lineup on Rivals. No where near the talent level Lloyd Carr was drawing in and screwing up.
    Agreed. Going by the scout.com rankings ND has had the 23, 2, 5 and 11 recruiting classes in the nation the last 4 years. And the 23 was due to the fact that they only took 18 that year, so the guys they did take were high end recruits. No team should be 6-5 with those recruits and the schedule they had this year. Still, I think they should keep Charlie, but that is because I really don't like ND and hope they keep losing.

"Still, I think they should keep Charlie, but that is because I really don't like ND and hope they keep losing."

We Buckeye fans had the same sentiment about Lloyd Carr, but the grass has been even greener since.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post

Never say never...

If they are dedicated to it anything is a possible, not that I am an Irish fan at all but it takes talent & chemistry. Right now ND is lacking #2.