Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco

Default Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco

For once I side with him. The NFL is now saying if he wants his legal name on his jersey he must reimburse Reebok for the already printed jerseys with "C. Johnson" on them. That would cost around $4 million!

Does the NFL really have the right to do this?
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Default Re: Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco

Quote Originally Posted by Champ Kind View Post
    For once I side with him. The NFL is now saying if he wants his legal name on his jersey he must reimburse Reebok for the already printed jerseys with "C. Johnson" on them. That would cost around $4 million!

Does the NFL really have the right to do this?
    Sounds pretty reasonable to me. This seasons jersey's have already been made and he decided to change his name. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I don't see what the issue in understanding this would be. Now next year, I don't see why the NFL wouldn't allow himto put his legal last name on the jersey. Is the last name legally Cinco, or ocho cinco? Whichever it is, I don't see a problem with allowing him to display it on his jersey.
    Lets go Brent!

There should be no problem with having his legal name on his personal jersey he wears in games.

NFL merchandising should have nothing to do with that IMO.

He tried to stick it to the NFL by the name change and now they are trying to stick it to him by not allowing a game jersey change.
    If we don't fight hard enough for the things we stand for, at some point we have to recognize that we don't really stand for them.

~Paul Wellstone~

You think it's reasonable for him to reimburse Reebok $4 million dollars for the jerseys they plan on selling via retail sales? I'd be curious to see the contract language between him, the Bengals, the NFL, and Reebok that would support such a claim. Sounds a little farfetched to me - and just a way to d!ck him around because they don't like the fact that he changed his name to get around them telling him he couldn't put the nickname on his jersey.

Shea Stadium
    1964 - 2008

http://www.theopenmat.com/

ccbig - I agree with your comment as well ... I don't see how they can tell him he can't have his legal name on his game jerseys no matter what the situation is with merchandising - wouldn't putting Johnson on there now actually violate the NFL's rule? since it's not actually his name?

Shea Stadium
    1964 - 2008

http://www.theopenmat.com/

The guy did it to mess with them, make him pay.

That seems like way too much money. Even if they were ALL authentic jerseys at $300 a piece, that's nearly 15000 jerseys. There's no way they had 15000 "C. Johnson" jerseys made by now. I call shenanigans.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
    You think it's reasonable for him to reimburse Reebok $4 million dollars for the jerseys they plan on selling via retail sales? I'd be curious to see the contract language between him, the Bengals, the NFL, and Reebok that would support such a claim. Sounds a little farfetched to me - and just a way to d!ck him around because they don't like the fact that he changed his name to get around them telling him he couldn't put the nickname on his jersey.
    No I don't think he should have to pay Reebok back, I think he should have to wear theC. Johnson jesery this season and then next season, he can wear the one with his legal name. This year, Reebok aleady made the jerseys they are going to sell of him, and its unreasonable to expect them to start all over. He's the one who made the change and since it will hurt Reebok be devaluing the C. Johnson jerseys, he should ahve to wait until next season when they print up the new ones.
    Lets go Brent!

or he should pay to have the jersey's retro-fitted with a Ocho Cinco patch.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton