Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Obesity contagious?

  1. #1
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Obesity contagious?

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...allycontagious

    I guess they're saying if your friends are fat, you have a better chance of being so too.

    Adult obesity increased from 15% to 32% in 25 years (that's more than a 100% increase). Article doesn't mention it, but the change in children is much higher. Major probls.

    My Rx:
    Ditch the fast food
    Ditch the video games
    Support wrestling or other activities commensurate with age and ability.

  2. #2
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: Obesity contagious?

    This study is worthless. Simply people that have problems with weight favor finding likeminded friends. Say you feel overweight. You start looking for people to be friends with you that are even more overweight than you to help you feel better. Then, you feel at ease gaining some weight because your friends are overweight as well.

    Its another Western/Christian fallacy where the cause is never the will or the environment but somehow improper social association.

  3. #3
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Obesity contagious?

    Big, the study mentioned challenges your very presumptions. Do you suppose that a propensity towards obesity could be part will/part social influence, rather than simply one or the other?

    The huge spike in obesity does not support your argument (which is common) that it's simply a matter of will power--unless you want to also argue that we've had a huge loss of will power in this country over the last 25 years while people in other countries where the problem is not so big (no pun intended) have remained "strong".

  4. #4
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: Obesity contagious?

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Big, the study mentioned challenges your very presumptions. Do you suppose that a propensity towards obesity could be part will/part social influence, rather than simply one or the other?

    The huge spike in obesity does not support your argument (which is common) that it's simply a matter of will power--unless you want to also argue that we've had a huge loss of will power in this country over the last 25 years while people in other countries where the problem is not so big (no pun intended) have remained "strong".
    matclone,

    Why do you ignore my other comment, environment? Our environment, the lifestyle, the foods, the work that most people do, the lack of physical exercise or work that people do is the ENVIRONMENT that causes people to gain weight.

    Further, I am absolutely certain alike people drift towards each other rather than they are affected by each other. People are more likely to find friends more like themselves than adopt their friends' practices unconsciously.

    I will state again it is this Western fallacy that every person or a group of people that do something unfavorable are simply affected by their own BAD practices rather than being affected by common environments and as a result common WILL or shared interests.

  5. #5
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: Obesity contagious?

    People in other countries don't gain weight as much because they have somewhat different values. They might value health over material wealth, they might value working less and exercising more and things like that.

  6. #6
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Obesity contagious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    matclone,

    Why do you ignore my other comment, environment? Our environment, the lifestyle, the foods, the work that most people do, the lack of physical exercise or work that people do is the ENVIRONMENT that causes people to gain weight.

    Further, I am absolutely certain alike people drift towards each other rather than they are affected by each other. People are more likely to find friends more like themselves than adopt their friends' practices unconsciously.

    I will state again it is this Western fallacy that every person or a group of people that do something unfavorable are simply affected by their own BAD practices rather than being affected by common environments and as a result common WILL or shared interests.
    Big, I'm sorry, you're right, I didn't read your message closely enough. I would say, however, this study places friendship within the sphere of environmental influences you speak of.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Obesity contagious?

    Spider, are you a member of this vast "Western fallacy"? I might be but I'm really not sure.

  8. #8
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Obesity contagious?

    Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    Spider, are you a member of this vast "Western fallacy"? I might be but I'm really not sure.
    I consider myself a member of a vast worldwide phallusy.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  9. #9
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: Obesity contagious?

    Only in America a study can conclude that people become obese because they have obese friends rather than environment conducive to obesity, genetics and people's acceptance of being obese by embracing a certain lifestyle.

    Fat people being friends is the consequence of obesity, not the cause!

    Afterall, how can people become obese without lots of affordable food and healthy appetites?
    Last edited by Big; 07-25-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •