Thread: Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!

Default Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!

It's National Teacher Appreciation Week, and today is Teacher Appreciation Day ... so to all the posters on here who work in education, and to all the coaches who also give their time towards development of the kids, thank you for what you do. I, for one, know it isn't easy. Yesterday was a particularly rough day. But our PTSA set us up with a free taco bar for lunch today so all is good now
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!

An apple to Stardust, bluestater, sgallan, mrichardson (ret) and all the other teachers I've missed. Here's to your hard work in an vastly underpaid profession.

Ditto

RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

If you're a mexican teacher it's a double whammy today!
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Thank you Matclone and the rest - while I am no longer in teaching, I have a deep appreciation for those who are still working so hard for so little - and in a job so important. For what it is worth, I am now making as much in my third year as a correctional counselor as I did in my 10th year as a teacher. Of course, as a teacher I didn't have to wear a stab-proof vest.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Olympic Champ

Thank you. It is what keeps me going these days.

Today was a good one with the kids. Usually I do full-time sub jobs, but I just finished a 13 week stint in reading (6,7, and 8), and now I am finishing the year with getting classes 2-3 days at a time. It is rare that you get an entire class of fifth graders "getting" dividing whole numbers and fractions. Today that happened. It may seem like a little thing, but two years ago I had a entire seventh grade class where 70% couldn't get the concept. The fifth graders loved it when I told them that!

An aside, I ran the lesson problems - in a conceptual way (the math was to easy for her) - by Reni (who has been struggling with math memory issues) and she picked it up right away. Fractions were the one thing she struggled with a little when younger. It is a good sign towards her higher level learning recovery.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Scott - good news on Reni. Bit by bit, better and better.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Scott - good news on Reni. Bit by bit, better and better.
    Yeah, like the first time one ice or clay like mud..... little steps. As a coach you'd think I'd get the concept, but it is harder this time around.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.