Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phil Baroni moving to Welterweight

Default Re: Phil Baroni moving to Welterweight

Quote Originally Posted by RyannVonDoom View Post
    who said I got up in arms about it? He made a witty remark so I responded with one.

Phil is a good fighter who is always exciting in winning or losing. he's better than his record shows. if you want to go by just his record, you'll have to scrutinize others also.
    I agree that Phil is never boring and always comes to fight.
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

W/L records are far overrated. Look at the quality of opponents and that will explain much of the W/L.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

Quote Originally Posted by DingoBrigade View Post
    W/L records are far overrated. Look at the quality of opponents and that will explain much of the W/L.

Exactly.

Well wasn't he a punished steroid user recently? Perhaps getting off the roids will result in a loss of muscle mass. What weight did he wrestle in college?

Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    Well wasn't he a punished steroid user recently? Perhaps getting off the roids will result in a loss of muscle mass. What weight did he wrestle in college?

He wrestled at 182 I think. He was apart of that debacle that Sherk was involved in.. The athletic commission in California has unsterile testing facilities and the water they used to clean the place tested positive for riods. They gave him a shortened suspention like they did sherk.. I believe both of them against the accusations.

I really don't understand all the venom towards Baroni. Granted, he's obnoxious and a braggart, but that just makes him a great foil for the drama aspect of MMA. He looks like a He-Man action figure and fights like someone stole something from him. He loses as often as he wins but give me more Baronis and less Machidas.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

Quote Originally Posted by DingoBrigade View Post
    I really don't understand all the venom towards Baroni. Granted, he's obnoxious and a braggart, but that just makes him a great foil for the drama aspect of MMA. He looks like a He-Man action figure and fights like someone stole something from him. He loses as often as he wins but give me more Baronis and less Machidas.

I agree. Machida is great technically... but he just fights to not lose, not to finish. That's my biggest pet peeve with this sport.

I agree. Machida is great technically... but he just fights to not lose, not to finish. That's my biggest pet peeve with this sport.
    It's a peeve of mine, too, and it seems to be a growing phenomenon--fighters fighting conservatively enough that they take few risks and grind out a snoozer of a win, or, even worse in my book, guys like Dante Rivera fighting to lose without being stopped or 'looking bad'. Rivera knew he had very little chance after the first rounds of his last two fights and yet did nothing to open up or fire up a hail mary. Baroni ain't gonna ever do that and I respect that about him. He might take a snooze in the cage/ring, but he's not going to ever be a coward either. Not saying Rivera or Machida are cowards, FTR.

I also agree that Machida is a great technical fighter. I just think one Machida is bordering on one too many. I hope the next wave of fighters isn't trying to ape his style. They should ape his technique, but not his approach to fighting.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

Well said
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."