Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather v. De La Hoya

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

I had Dela Hoya with 7 rounds.

Also, the swing judge (the last one announced anyway) scored the bout 115-113 Mayweather. He was also the only judge to give Mayweather the 12th round. Had he been inline with the other two, we have a draw.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Since when does five rounds beat seven?

De La Hoya was the aggressor, more flurries, more rounds, and as much as I hate to say it, more class. He controlled the ring and might have been hit by what, 3-4 hard shots the entire bout...

Again, I wasn't rooting for De La Hoya, but I clearly think he won the fight and dominated the first half. After six rounds, I had him winning five of the six.

Olympic Champ

You actually have to land some of those shots your throw. Mayweather outlanded De La Hoya in the bout. And boxed his way to the win..... pretty much exactly how I figured he'd do it.

If this was the bout to save boxing, then let the sport rot and burn (at least on the professional, high-stakes title fight level). I haven't been a fan since Pernell Whitaker was robbed against Chavez in San Antonio. Boxing's much more corrupt, especially up top, when its all about gate reciepts and less about sport.

Personally, I thought Harold Lederman was on crack with his scorecard throughout the fight. Someone thought that De La Hoya won the fight, but the two judges that scored him winning it -- also were judges in past Mayweather title fights.

This fight did nothing for a sport that simply doesn't have the fan appeal anymore. I'm glad I didn't pay the $54.95, but I simply couldn't believe what I read on ESPN.com about the fight.

"Dominated?" Are you kidding me? "Dominated?"

Again, boxing is less about sport now and it's about defining personalities. I thought Mayweather's Cinco De Mayo tribute was completely in poor taste.

I'll say again, I wasn't rooting for De La Hoya in the least bit, not even at all...

Olympic Champ

Who said dominated?

Olympic Champ

I haven't been a fan since Pernell Whitaker was robbed against Chavez in San Antonio.

Most of the cards I have seen from writers, pundits, non-official scores, have the fight pretty much the same as the judges who had Mayweather winning. So it wasn't like the Whitaker/Chavez fight in that regard. Being aggressive doesn't always mean you are going to win a decision.

ESPN.com had a story last night, even a headline in one of their boxing sections, that used the word "dominated" all over the place.

Pundits or what not, no one's going to convince me otherwise that Mayweather won the fight.

Mayweather won 4 out of the first 6 rounds too. De la Hoya did not land any punches in the first half of the fight. Sure, mayweather's punches didn't hurt de la hoya, but at least he landed them over and over again. De la hoya can't expect to come forward and not land any punches and win the fight. All of de la hoya's punches were blocked by mayweather's defense. They looked pretty from behind but he wasn't hitting shit. Those flurries never hit mayweather. It was all gloves.
    Last edited by satiev1; 05-06-2007 at 03:33 PM.

I'm basically with sgallan, I didn't see the fight, but from what I've read Mayweather landed something like 43% of his punches to 21% for Oscar, dude just outboxed him. Oscar should have kept using his jab, again from what I've read it seemed when he used his jab, he won rounds.