Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 11

Thread: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

  1. #1

    Default M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    While few would deny the rise of MMA has renewed interest in competitive amateur wrestling, some at the top of the American wrestling food chain are worried the better wrestlers may supplant an Olympic career for one of riches and fame.
    "It's almost catastrophic to the development of wrestlers in our country," said Brands, who spent several years as national resident coach at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. "It hurts, it hurts our country."
    Brands and Gable don't have a major problem with the MMA. They just want to see America's best wrestlers represent their country before worrying about their wallets.
    But not every wrestler is going to make it to the Olympics, There are only 7 spots every four years.
    MMA and UFC combine a variety of fighting techniques, including wrestling, boxing and several martial-art forms. Some of the top attractions in the sport have wrestling backgrounds, including Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar. Couture and Lesnar recently fought at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas Lesnar, a 2000 NCAA champion for Minnesota, won Couture, an NCAA runner-up in 1991 for Oklahoma State, earned both these guys were paid millions for their efforts.
    By contrast, 2008 Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo made about $85,000 last year, not bad but this was the best wrestler in the world.
    "The MMA offers an opportunity for people to make some money," Gable said. "I'm not against it. I'm not a real big fan. We just don't want to lose top wrestlers to the MMA."

    Although opportunities like the MMA and UFC were not available when Brands' competitive career ended, he said he was more interested in beating Russians and striving for gold medals than big paychecks.Why?
    Gable, Brands and USA Wrestling have nothing to worry about. Paydays like the Lesnar-Couture show are not the norm for beginning fighters. It takes years to make serious money in MMA. So what most wrestlers and MMA athletes aren?t doing this for a payday but rather to have fun and compete?
    To each his own and one could have an endless debate about which is more meaningful, although most would say Olympic achievements are paramount. Still, it's an open question and I'm not certain there's truly a correct answer.
    But that's neither here nor there. The central issue is whether MMA hurts wrestling? No way, it just gives wrestlers more opportunities. Chasing of wrestling glory and MMA success are not mutually exclusive. While both could be sought after simultaneously, efforts in either endeavor can be temporarily post-poned to focus on the other sport. MMA athletes and wrestler can take time away from either at different seasons and one sport will help the other it?s a matter of mat time and more experience.
    n fairness to Gable and Brands, I do not dispute that MMA will at some point intervene in the aims and career trajectory of elite wrestlers that have heretofore carried the torch for American wrestling, But their claims that MMA is somehow catastrophic to wrestling's higher end are grossly exaggerated.
    But what does all this have to do with kids or adults having fun training in MMA? Nothing, MMA teaches all the same great principals as wrestling and allows kids to broaden their martial arts knowledge and have fun doing it. Give it a try.


    http://tqfc.com/News.aspx?i=403


  2. #2

    Default Re: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    I do think that it has helped wrestling at the HS and MS levels, I think we will have to wait to see if the kids in HS and MS now continue to College and International wrestling to see the ways it helps and/or hinders wrestling at those levels. I think we are going to have to wait a few years to see.

  3. #3
    Redshirt juggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    Quote Originally Posted by chesterbound01 View Post
    I do think that it has helped wrestling at the HS and MS levels, I think we will have to wait to see if the kids in HS and MS now continue to College and International wrestling to see the ways it helps and/or hinders wrestling at those levels. I think we are going to have to wait a few years to see.
    Yeah, I think it's a give-and-take relationship.

    But I don't see how this Brands guy can call it "catastrophic to the development of wrestlers in our country." I think such a view is unbelievably shortsighted. Brands needs to first think about how many kids out there right now who are fans of MMA and decide to pursue wrestling over the stick and ball sports as a result. The rise of MMA will only help to attract more young athletes to amateur wrestling.

    Beyond that, anyone who truly cares about and believes in the athletes that amateur wrestling produces should be pleased that a sport has come along that allows them to utilize their talents and be rewarded for it.

    Brand's view seems both shortsighted and selfish.

  4. #4

    Default Re: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    Hopefully in the long run it forces the USA wrestling and everyone involved with the sport to come up with a system that pays our wrestlers to train year round.

    They want all the top 10-20 guys to stick it out and dedicate their lives to the sport but they want them to do it without paying them.

    MMA will increase the overall participants in wrestling but unless we increase the pay on the international level the top guys will either move into mma or antoher career.

  5. #5
    AA the518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    bangladesh, california
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lotta View Post
    While few would deny the rise of MMA has renewed interest in competitive amateur wrestling, some at the top of the American wrestling food chain are worried the better wrestlers may supplant an Olympic career for one of riches and fame.
    "It's almost catastrophic to the development of wrestlers in our country," said Brands, who spent several years as national resident coach at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. "It hurts, it hurts our country."
    Brands and Gable don't have a major problem with the MMA. They just want to see America's best wrestlers represent their country before worrying about their wallets.
    But not every wrestler is going to make it to the Olympics, There are only 7 spots every four years.
    MMA and UFC combine a variety of fighting techniques, including wrestling, boxing and several martial-art forms. Some of the top attractions in the sport have wrestling backgrounds, including Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar. Couture and Lesnar recently fought at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas Lesnar, a 2000 NCAA champion for Minnesota, won Couture, an NCAA runner-up in 1991 for Oklahoma State, earned both these guys were paid millions for their efforts.
    By contrast, 2008 Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo made about $85,000 last year, not bad but this was the best wrestler in the world.
    "The MMA offers an opportunity for people to make some money," Gable said. "I'm not against it. I'm not a real big fan. We just don't want to lose top wrestlers to the MMA."

    Although opportunities like the MMA and UFC were not available when Brands' competitive career ended, he said he was more interested in beating Russians and striving for gold medals than big paychecks.Why?
    Gable, Brands and USA Wrestling have nothing to worry about. Paydays like the Lesnar-Couture show are not the norm for beginning fighters. It takes years to make serious money in MMA. So what most wrestlers and MMA athletes aren?t doing this for a payday but rather to have fun and compete?
    To each his own and one could have an endless debate about which is more meaningful, although most would say Olympic achievements are paramount. Still, it's an open question and I'm not certain there's truly a correct answer.
    But that's neither here nor there. The central issue is whether MMA hurts wrestling? No way, it just gives wrestlers more opportunities. Chasing of wrestling glory and MMA success are not mutually exclusive. While both could be sought after simultaneously, efforts in either endeavor can be temporarily post-poned to focus on the other sport. MMA athletes and wrestler can take time away from either at different seasons and one sport will help the other it?s a matter of mat time and more experience.
    n fairness to Gable and Brands, I do not dispute that MMA will at some point intervene in the aims and career trajectory of elite wrestlers that have heretofore carried the torch for American wrestling, But their claims that MMA is somehow catastrophic to wrestling's higher end are grossly exaggerated.
    But what does all this have to do with kids or adults having fun training in MMA? Nothing, MMA teaches all the same great principals as wrestling and allows kids to broaden their martial arts knowledge and have fun doing it. Give it a try.


    http://tqfc.com/News.aspx?i=403
    why not take care of their wallets in the meantime?
    but then again, i may be retarded

  6. #6

    Default Re: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    Quote Originally Posted by juggo View Post
    Yeah, I think it's a give-and-take relationship.

    But I don't see how this Brands guy can call it "catastrophic to the development of wrestlers in our country." I think such a view is unbelievably shortsighted. Brands needs to first think about how many kids out there right now who are fans of MMA and decide to pursue wrestling over the stick and ball sports as a result. The rise of MMA will only help to attract more young athletes to amateur wrestling.

    Beyond that, anyone who truly cares about and believes in the athletes that amateur wrestling produces should be pleased that a sport has come along that allows them to utilize their talents and be rewarded for it.

    Brand's view seems both shortsighted and selfish.
    LOL, sorry it is funny to see someone on a wrestling forum say, "this Brands guy"

    I also think finding a way to market college wrestling to "fans" by trying to get it on FSN, Versus, ComcastSN, and other second tier sports channels is more needed right now than complaining about MMA. By the FILA has done more damage to the sport of wrestling than MMA could in a million years. How about we complain about that

  7. #7

    Default Re: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    Brands has a pretty good point though. While MMA might help create a bigger talent pool for wrestling, a lot of the top wrestlers are now choosing to do MMA instead of wrestling internationally. This hurts USA wrestling.

    Speaking of, does anyone know if Henry Cejudo has decided to fight, wrestle, or what? Is he training at all anymore?

  8. #8
    Redshirt juggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    Quote Originally Posted by chesterbound01 View Post
    LOL, sorry it is funny to see someone on a wrestling forum say, "this Brands guy"
    lol, I guess it's clear I'm not a huge follower of amateur wrestling. I tried to catch as much of the Olympics as I could (saw Cejudo's run live, caught Askren's two matches live, etc.), try to catch a few of the NCAA tournament matches every year and try to follow future MMA prospects when I can, but that's about it.

  9. #9
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: M.M.A VS Amateur Wrestling?

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Hopefully in the long run it forces the USA wrestling and everyone involved with the sport to come up with a system that pays our wrestlers to train year round.

    They want all the top 10-20 guys to stick it out and dedicate their lives to the sport but they want them to do it without paying them.

    MMA will increase the overall participants in wrestling but unless we increase the pay on the international level the top guys will either move into mma or antoher career.
    You make it sound like USA wrestling has money there are purposefully keeping from amatuers wrestler and MMA will force them to open their wallets.
    We all know there is no money on amatuer wrestling, I am amaazed the Cejudo was able to net $85K last year (good for him, I wish he could earn more wrestling).

    Depending on your perspective you can either state the problem as there is no money to be made in amatuer wrestling or that there is some money to be made in MMA which will draw wrestling away from international competition

    Ther is bno doubt that if MMA did not exist some of the top wrestlers would still be wrestling instead of trying MMA. Ben Askren and Mo Lawal are the first two that come to mind (Joe Warren as well, but he is a special case because of the ridiculous drug suspension). These guys are legitmate contenders for world medals in their wrestling prime, but instead they are climbing the ranks of MMA.

    In adition to these guys there is a whole class of top notch wrestlings who instead of climbing the national ladder and pushing the top guys, they have decided to pursue MMA (johny Hendricks, Phil Davis come to mind)

    I am not criticizes these guys, I just wish they could fulfill their wrestling potential before picking the gloves like Matt Lindland, Randy Couture and Dan Henderson did.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •