Thread: Judo Or Jiu-jitsu

Default Judo Or Jiu-jitsu

BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU, OR JUDO? WHAT DO YOU GUYS LIKE BETTER AND WHY?

Default Re: Judo Or Jiu-jitsu

Thinking About Taking A Break From Jiu-jitsu And Going Judo For Awhile

Jiu-Jitsu seems more based on self defense and Judo more for sport.
    Judo also seems to have more emphasis on throws versus submissions in BJJ.

I love Judo and don't understand why more ex-wrestlers don't participate.
    It is the perfect sport for wrestlers who still want to compete, but have run out of wrestling options.

Though the question was addressed to GUYS, I'll still weigh in. I like BJJ better because I really like the submissions and the fluidity of it.

Although its hard to argue with a BJ, I like judo because of the emphasis on throwing and take downs in general. As Brother ODH stated, its surprising that more ex-wrestlers don't do it, its pretty much a perfect sport for us old heads. Plus, the gi hides any rolls of "padding" that may have accumulated over the years much better than a spandex singlet!

I just started doing Brazilian Jiujitsu (no gi) a few weeks ago and I love it! I haven't really done judo but a judo player friend of mine started showing me some moves once and the whole grabbing the gi thing was really strange to me. I guess it takes some getting used to if you are a wrestler.

They Both Have Good No-gi Techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Although its hard to argue with a BJ, I like judo because of the emphasis on throwing and take downs in general. As Brother ODH stated, its surprising that more ex-wrestlers don't do it, its pretty much a perfect sport for us old heads. Plus, the gi hides any rolls of "padding" that may have accumulated over the years much better than a spandex singlet!
    I AGREE, IT HAS ALSO HELPED ME LEARN TO WRESTLE BIGGER GUYS. I OFTEN WRESTLE HWT CAUSE I DON'T LIKE CUTTING WEIGHT ANYMORE, UNLESS ITS A BIG TOURNY. I ALSO BELIEVE BY WATCHING THE SAITIEVS WRESTLE, THEY HAVE EXTENSIVE SAMBO EXPERIENCE, ALWAYS USING OVERHOOKS AND UNDERHOOKS. I'M STARTING TO LIKE JUDO A BIT MORE FOR CONCENTRARING ON TAKEDOWNS, AND BJJ FOR THE SUBS. I JUST GET PISSED WHEN I TAKE SOMEONE DOWN, AND THEY SOMETIMES MAKE IT EASIER BY FALLING THEIR BACK TO GO TO THE GUARD. JUDO STILL TRIES TO DEFEND THE TAKEDOWN. THE JUDO HAS REAL GOOD TECHNIQUE WITH NO GI, ESPECIALLY FROM THE OVERHOOK POSITION