Thread: New Judo rules

Default New Judo rules

Any Judoka have thoughts about the revised Judo rules.
    My understanding is that Koka's will no longer be scored. Throws have to be Yuko or higher to score, first penalty is essentially a warning and no points are core in a hold down until ater 15 seconds.
    In addition I have also heard the it will now be illegal to grab the pants leg from the feet to execute a throw. Leg grabs are still OK.

I will probably going to a tournament on Saturday that will use the new rules.

Default Re: New Judo rules

Where is Adolf?

I also heard it's illegal to swat a guys hand away from getting a grip.

My kids haven't done judo since wrestling season started - hoping to return in March (although the Liberty Bell is in early April and they would be rusty)
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Default Re: New Judo rules

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    Where is Adolf?

I also heard it's illegal to swat a guys hand away from getting a grip.

My kids haven't done judo since wrestling season started - hoping to return in March (although the Liberty Bell is in early April and they would be rusty)
    There appear to be a bunch of other rules which fall under "bad judo".
    Not allowing the opponet to grip is one and also crunching the oppenent down with a high collar grip. There were a few others which I don't recall, but they and the ones above all seem to fall under the failure to attack or non-combativity penalty.

In the tournament on Saturday, the biggest change for me was the elimination of a koka for 10 second hold down, even though a few years ago it required 15 seconds for a koka. A bunch times my guys had a decent hold down and the opponent was eventually able to get out and I looked at the scoreboard expecting a score and there was none because it was less than 15 seconds.