Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early reports: Affliction Pay Per View bombed badly

Default Early reports: Affliction Pay Per View bombed badly

Word is that they barely sold any pay per views what so ever. With nearly half the MMA world watching the illegal video stream on the net, and the other half not caring, they will be lucky to have done 18-20k buys. This may not be all bad news, however, as once Affliction closes its doors and releases its fighters from contract, they will be free to negotiate with the UFC and join the best fighters in the world under one roof.

We really shouldn't be surprised that the event failed so miserably, with them scheduling it on the same night as Margarito/Mosley was being shown on HBO, sandwiched between 2 huge UFC pay per views and opposite spike programing running exciting UFC fights, including Randy vs Brock, for the UFC heavyweight belt. I'll tell you, Atencio has no idea what he's fcuking doing!

Lets hope Lindland is ok and lets get some of these guys (Victor Belfort, Fedor for example) into the big leagues of the UFC. Dana, make it happen.
    Lets go Brent!

Default Re: Early reports: Affliction Pay Per View bombed badly

Any sources, Adolph? Official, that is?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Here's the payroll:

MMAWeekly has obtained the fighter salary information from the California State Athletic Commission for Affliction “Day of Reckoning” featuring Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski, which took place on Saturday, Jan. 24, at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners’ bonuses.

Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters’ salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the listings below, “Main Event Fighters” are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. “Main Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. “Preliminary Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the main card goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS
    Fedor Emelianenko $300,000 (no win bonus) def. Andre Arlovski $1,500,000 (win bonus would have been $250,000)
    MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
    Josh Barnett $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel $30,000 (win bonus would have been $9,300)
    – Vitor Belfort $200,000 (includes $80,000 win bonus) def. Matt Lindland $225,000 (win bonus would have been $75,000)
    – Renato “Babalu” Sobral $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou $50,000 (win bonus would have been $50,000)
    – Paul Buentello $90,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Kiril Sidelnikov $10,000 (win bonus would have been $25,000)
    – Dan Lauzon $12,000 (no win bonus) def. Bobby Green $4,000 (win bonus would have been $4,000)
    – Jay Hieron $45,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Jason High $10,000 (win bonus would have been $5,000)

PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
    – Antonio Rogerio Nogueira $150,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Vladimir Matyushenko $50,000 (win bonus would have been $30,000)
    – L.C. Davis $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Bao Quach $7,000 (win bonus would have been $6,000)
    Albert Rios $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Antonio Duarte $3,000 (win bonus would have been $2,000)
    – Brett Cooper $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus) def. Patrick Speight $2,000 (win bonus would have been $3,000)

AFFLICTION “DAY OF RECKONING” DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $3,308,000
    Last edited by Adolf Oliverbush; 01-25-2009 at 03:10 AM.
    Lets go Brent!

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Any sources, Adolph? Official, that is?
    It wont be official for a few weeks but sample polls are registering very, very low.

And look at the dismal pay for some of the under card guys, as well as the Last Emperor.

Affliction is on life support and I don't believe they will make it. Dana White, get the next head stone ready, Atencio has burried Affliction with his horrible decisions.
    Lets go Brent!

Affliction will always struggle on timing of events, since Dana will always find something to put up against them (actually good business for them). Not sure if they will ever get some of these fighters back though. Too many don't like the way they are treated and will continue to make the same amount of money or more in smaller, less known shows. The only three they really need is Fedor, Barnett, and Vitor. If Vitor is truly back, it would be great to see him fight Anderson, and Fedor Barnett is the next big heavyweight match that people would like to see.
    Is this likely to happen? Not sure, Dana hates Barnett, but he is clearly one of the best Heavyweights out there and he already messed things up with Fedor. Vitor left and is now backed by Xtreme Courture, and they don't seem to get along all that well???

TIME WILL TELL, BUT I HOPE THE CONTINUE THROUGH ONE MORE HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHT. I was at the event last night and it was fun and very crowd friendly. Not sure about PPV, but it was full at the venue.

I dont see Fedor or Barnett coming to the UFC, I think we could see Arlovski and Vitor back though.

If the UFC was able to add the following fighters I would be very happy:
    Jake Shields
    Robbie Lawler
    Arlovski
    Vitor
    Babalu
    Mousasi- is rumored to be fighting for Affliction but if they would UFC should get him.
    Akiyama- rumored interest in the UFC
    Overeerm

Lawler, Akiyama and Vitor would add much needed firepower to the mw division.

Babalu and Mousasi would further stack the lhw division and Arlovski, Overeem, and Shields would be contenders in their respective divisions.

I hope AA stays with Affliction or goes to DREAM, because Id still like to see him face BArnett.
    I'd say that Dana needs to get Vitor as he killed(almost literally) a top middleweight in Lindland and he's run out of people to fight Anderson.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pimach View Post
    I hope AA stays with Affliction or goes to DREAM, because Id still like to see him face BArnett.
    I'd say that Dana needs to get Vitor as he killed(almost literally) a top middleweight in Lindland and he's run out of people to fight Anderson.
    I meant Arlovski going back to UFC if Affliction folds. I cant see him leaving them if they stay in business as they are paying him way more than UFC would.

Arlovski would probably be a bit hit in Dream or Sengoku, but they many decent heavyweights.

If Afflcition didn't go in the hole a few million bucks, I'll be shocked.
    Lets go Brent!