Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 13

Thread: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

  1. #1

    Default Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    Should be a great fight and a big step up for Edgar.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    Wow, Im looking forward to this fight, I like Edgar and I agree its a big step up, but I hope its not too big, Sherk is a monster at 155 and out side of BJ no one has really handled him there. I think a win by Edgar blasts him right up there into a title shot.

    whats with the sadness PJers?
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

    www.euromitsu.com

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    Yikes. I don't see any real way for Edgar to win this fight. To me, he's better then Tyson Griffin, but not by much, and not enough to overcome Sherk.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    They're basically the same guy except Sherk is bigger, don't see much of a way for Edgar to win it here.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Yikes. I don't see any real way for Edgar to win this fight. To me, he's better then Tyson Griffin, but not by much, and not enough to overcome Sherk.
    Sherks fight with Griffin was very close with Sherk having a slight edge in striking and he scored a few takedowns.

    Edgars fight with Griffin was also very close with Edgar having the edge in takedowns and getting a few more takedowns.

    I think this will be a good fight with some nice exchanges on the feet. I think Edgar is the better wrestler but he is giving up a size advantage. I think the wrestling will be neutralized for the most part and it will come down to who gets the best of the striking.

  6. #6
    National Finalist leglace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    991

    Default Re: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Sherks fight with Griffin was very close with Sherk having a slight edge in striking and he scored a few takedowns.

    Edgars fight with Griffin was also very close with Edgar having the edge in takedowns and getting a few more takedowns.

    I think this will be a good fight with some nice exchanges on the feet. I think Edgar is the better wrestler but he is giving up a size advantage. I think the wrestling will be neutralized for the most part and it will come down to who gets the best of the striking.
    I think this is a tough matchup for Edgar. Much like Gray Maynard. Sherk is too big for him. Edgar is really a 145 pounder. But I think Edgar mental toughness keeps in in the fight with anybody. He really needs to keep the fight standing. Sherk seems to have something to prove on his feet. He did it with both Griffin and BJ. However, I think Edgar can out box Sherk to steal the rounds. Though Sherk seemed inches away from landing many devastating blows to BJ. His boxing got pretty good. Its more about Sherks shork reach though.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    I think this is a tough matchup for Edgar. Much like Gray Maynard. Sherk is too big for him. Edgar is really a 145 pounder. But I think Edgar mental toughness keeps in in the fight with anybody. He really needs to keep the fight standing. Sherk seems to have something to prove on his feet. He did it with both Griffin and BJ. However, I think Edgar can out box Sherk to steal the rounds. Though Sherk seemed inches away from landing many devastating blows to BJ. His boxing got pretty good. Its more about Sherks shork reach though.
    It will be a very tough for him. The biggest problem for him to overcome will be the size as I think his skill is even or better than Sherks.

    Sherk has good combinations but they are pretty basic and predictable as he repeats them over and over. He relies a lot on his uppercut and left hook so I think Edgar will be prepared. As you mentioned he has stubs for arms so he has to close the distance to land shots which means he will be taking shots as well.

    Edgar is the more accomplished wrestler but Sherk is bigger. Sherk has struggled with taking down others in the past including Nick Diaz and in his last fight he was not able to dominate Griffin with his wrestling. I think Edgar will shut down sherks wreslting for the most part but his offensive wrestling will be negated as well.

    If it goes to the ground I dont see either fighter worrying about being submitted. Both have been on the ground with blackbetls and handled it fine.

    I see the fight being similar to both guys fights with Griffin, with the winner being whoever wins more exchanges on the feet.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    i heard edgar has put on some weight and may be a legit 155 lber. if so i think he'll be fine against sherk once the size disadvantage is removed.

  9. #9
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Edgar vs. Sherk @ ufc 98

    Quote Originally Posted by gutfirst View Post
    i heard edgar has put on some weight and may be a legit 155 lber. if so i think he'll be fine against sherk once the size disadvantage is removed.
    He was outbulled by Grey Maynard and I can see the same thing happening here.

    Any talk of Frankie dropping to 145 and the WEC?
    BTW, any one know any new on Maynard?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •