Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulver not so evil anymore

Hybrid View

Default Pulver not so evil anymore

The new breed of fighter is here and Jens Pulver is finding out firsthand. In 2008, the young fighter lives mixed martial arts. That wasn't the case earlier this decade. Fighters like Pulver had to work their craft part-time. But if you had a very skill you could be a dominate fighter. Pulver has always said no one can stand with him and strike at 145 lbs. Those days are gone. Most fighters possess solid if not very good striking skills. Leonard Garcia is one of that well-rounded new breed. He threw with Pulver from the get-go at WEC 36 and took out the MMA vet inside of 80 seconds.

The end began when Garcia nailed Pulver with a left-right combo one minute into the fight. Then Garcia landed a right hand bomb over Pulver's ear. Little Evil stepped back, shook his head to clear the cobwebs and then retreated to the cage. Garcia pounced on Pulver, who was clearly out of it, landing 4-of-5 haymakers prompting referee Jorge Alonso to stop the fight.

This loss is nothing to be embarrassed about and frankly it wasn't a huge upset. We saw signs of Pulver's decline against Urijah Faber. Faber hadn't been well-regarded as a striker before the fight but he is now. He stood toe-to-toe with Pulver for five rounds and consistently beat Pulver to the punch. Faber is the best featherweight in the world and the guy is always training. Fighting at 145, Faber is never heavier than 153. That also means he's adding to his game 12 months a year.

Garcia, has had some legal troubles away from the cage but if he keeps his nose clean he's a solid threat in a future fight against Faber. He thinks he deserves the shot soon:

"That fight says it all. I let actions speak louder than words. I say hell yeah"

Pulver not so evil anymore @ Yahoo!MMA

Default Re: Pulver not so evil anymore

Wow, a shocking night in the WEC. Pulver continues his downward trend--how much longer does he have as a contender? I love the guy but I'm not sure he has it anymore.

Cerrone proves that his unblemished record is no fluke. An impressive win and some very impressive standup. Cerrone might be a legitimate elite contender.

Filho shows just how uninterested he is in MMA right now. When he's right, a guy like Sonnen should be a very manageable foe. A very disappointing first loss for Filho.

While I realize he was simply caught by Brown, who is an excellent and dangerous fighter in his own right, this proves my point that Faber isn't even the undisputed best 145, much less a top 5 or 10 P4P fighter in the world.

Pretty exciting stuff.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

Quote Originally Posted by DingoBrigade View Post
    While I realize he was simply caught by Brown, who is an excellent and dangerous fighter in his own right, this proves my point that Faber isn't even the undisputed best 145, much less a top 5 or 10 P4P fighter in the world.

Pretty exciting stuff.
    I have always agreed with the not putting Faber int eh Top 5 or even the Top 10. I have never been overly impressed with some of his match-ups. Brown came ready and showed some great stuff.

As far as Filho-Sonnen fight, I was very pleased, the weight thing, the fact that he does not seem to care about MMA, and the heart that Sonnen has proven over the years. Sonnen is such a down to earth fighter and has come along way overt he many years he has competed (I am bias toward him since he did setup my fisrt MMA fight years ago).

I agree there are guys in the 145 and 155 pound weight classes that would likely beat faber.

I think frankie edgar vs faber would be a great match
    Gold is an idiot.

Pulver was foolishly pursuing him to aggressively and paid for it. While Faber was too willing to take foolish risks. Was too bad to see Faber go out like that, while Pulver (imo) was the best when fewer people did mma and those who did did it part time.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

I was glad that Chael won but disappointed in his performance. Filho pretty much gave him that fight, barely engaging on the feet and trying every opportunity to just flop on his back and steal a submission. I don't understand why Chael was throwing pitty-pat punches the whole fight like he was practically shadow-boxing and stood over him for so long tapping him on the butt with his foot. He clearly won the fight but in large part because Filho did nothing more than show up.

Hopefully Faber learns a lesson here and stops with the "cute" moves.

And I feel bad for Jens and expected a better fight. I agree with Dingo that he may be done. He hasn't shown much since his return to UFC a few years ago - getting rocked in just about every fight (except the Cub fight which was over as soon as it started) and not displaying that devastating power he's had in the past. Lauzon knocked him out in 1 round, BJ toyed with him, Faber beat him at standup hurting him a few times along the way (and Faber is not the greatest standup guy), and now Garcia KOs him in 1 round.

Shea Stadium
    1964 - 2008

http://www.theopenmat.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
    I was glad that Chael won but disappointed in his performance. Filho pretty much gave him that fight, barely engaging on the feet and trying every opportunity to just flop on his back and steal a submission. I don't understand why Chael was throwing pitty-pat punches the whole fight like he was practically shadow-boxing and stood over him for so long tapping him on the butt with his foot. He clearly won the fight but in large part because Filho did nothing more than show up.
    I have no problem with Sonnen strategy. He was clearly winning aginst a fighter that was regarded by many as the 2nd middle weight in the world.
    He was too aggressive last time and he got caught and wasn't going to make that mistake again.

I am of the opinion that fighter should worry about winning first and putting on a show 2nd. Filho was not even trying to win.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I have no problem with Sonnen strategy. He was clearly winning aginst a fighter that was regarded by many as the 2nd middle weight in the world.
    He was too aggressive last time and he got caught and wasn't going to make that mistake again.

I am of the opinion that fighter should worry about winning first and putting on a show 2nd. Filho was not even trying to win.
    What was his strategy in the first round? If there was one way Filho was going to win it was if Sonnen purposely came down on top of him and thats exactly what sonnen was doing. Thats how he got armbarred again and it looked like he wanted it to happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    What was his strategy in the first round? If there was one way Filho was going to win it was if Sonnen purposely came down on top of him and thats exactly what sonnen was doing. Thats how he got armbarred again and it looked like he wanted it to happen again.
    My take is that he adjusted his strategy after the first and chose not to give Filho a chance on the mat. From what i have seen Sonnen has a good GnP and if he wanted a big win or if Filho was actually fighting he would have needed to do some damage on the ground.