Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WEC Weigh-Ins--Filho slightly over

Default WEC Weigh-Ins--Filho slightly over

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/liv...-results-15040

SEVEN POUNDS?!?!?! Are you effing kidding me?

Mike Thomas Brown was .5 over. They both have two hours.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Default Re: WEC Weigh-Ins--Filho slightly over

I see nothing wrong with being over on your first attempt. It's the final attempt that makes me wonder "Are you effing kidding me?", when these guys and girls don't make it. You should never be under if you are cutting hard. It just takes too much out of you to go below the limit. So with that in mind, there's a high probability of being over on your first try and then just you go out and drop the remaining water weight. 7 pounds does seem a bit much, especially for a pro like Filho. I could understand if it were a Gina fight..
    Lets go Brent!

After the second attempt Filho was still 4 pounds over. He had two hours and lost three pounds, what a bum.

This will not be a 3 round non title fight.

I know this is a stupid question since the WEC middleweight belt doesn't really mean sh!t anymore due to the fact that they are merging the division with the UFC, but since Filho didn't make weight, what happens to the belt? Does he keep it or does Chael get it since Paulo failed to make weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    I see nothing wrong with being over on your first attempt. It's the final attempt that makes me wonder "Are you effing kidding me?", when these guys and girls don't make it. You should never be under if you are cutting hard. It just takes too much out of you to go below the limit. So with that in mind, there's a high probability of being over on your first try and then just you go out and drop the remaining water weight. 7 pounds does seem a bit much, especially for a pro like Filho. I could understand if it were a Gina fight..
    Come on Adolf, you gotta make weight...
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

I agree with Adolf on the idea that you don't have to make it on the first attempt. That is why there is a second chance. Difference in the scales can be an issue (as we saw with our wrestling team as of late). I can see the .5 pounds by Brown, but not the 7 pounds by Filho, that is just unprofessional. I feel bad for Chael in this situation, like all that have to be put in this situation.
    I think that if the Champ does not make weight, their belt should be stripped away, otherwise why not just miss weight everytime you have a tough title fight? You would never have to lose the belt???

Quote Originally Posted by gjfovf View Post
    Come on Adolf, you gotta make weight...
    I agree with you 100%, you have to make weight, especially if you're the defending champ. I just don't agree that you have to make it on the first try.

Back in the old country, we had a guy who would routinely miss weight by 3 or 4 kilos the first time around. He'd then go out and make weight on his 2nd try. Never had an issue with missing it, just the way he did things. it worked for him and it seemed to bother everyone else, even his opponents. I think it was a great tactic looking back on it.
    Lets go Brent!

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    After the second attempt Filho was still 4 pounds over. He had two hours and lost three pounds, what a bum.

This will not be a 3 round non title fight.
    What will it be PJ, a 5 round ttle fight?
    Lets go Brent!

Quote Originally Posted by Greco-ZAG View Post
    I agree with Adolf on the idea that you don't have to make it on the first attempt. That is why there is a second chance. Difference in the scales can be an issue (as we saw with our wrestling team as of late). I can see the .5 pounds by Brown, but not the 7 pounds by Filho, that is just unprofessional. I feel bad for Chael in this situation, like all that have to be put in this situation.
    I think that if the Champ does not make weight, their belt should be stripped away, otherwise why not just miss weight everytime you have a tough title fight? You would never have to lose the belt???
    Excellent point. If you're the challenger and miss weight, you blew your shot at the title. If you're the champ, you should blow your shot at keeping the title.

Shea Stadium
    1964 - 2008

http://www.theopenmat.com/