Thread: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen

Default Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen

A lot of people don't like Anderson Silva. I'm not one of them. I like how he doesn't trash talk in spite of what people say (though I'm not opposed to trash talking), and find him extremely entertaining--even when he's just toying with his opponents. I'm expecting this to be ugly for Sonnen.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen

Sonnen has does a great job selling the hell out of this fight.

Like you though, I expect him to be taken care of and relatively quickly.

I'm afraid Chael is going to get smashed..I want to see it though, and I give him credit for hyping this fight so well. Even if Chael gets the takedown, what does that really mean? Andersons great on his back too.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I will be rooting for Sonnen..I think this brash A-hole personality is just his schtick to get and then sell the fight and he has done a hell of a job of it.
    If I were in Vegas I would put a little money on him, because the odds have to be long. Hard to see him winning but crazier upsets have happened. Sonnen doesn't have unbelievable takedowns and has been vulnerable to submission when he is on top... maybe Silva has trouble getting back to 185 lb?

Sonnen, sonnen, sonnen.

We all watched Serra upset GSP. This might be an even bigger upset or at least equivelant. I'm rooting for Sonnen, but wouldn't bet it.

I hadn't watched any of Sonnen's interviews or anything until last night. Now that I have, I'm definitely rooting for Silva. Not necessarily because he was trash talking (I'm not against trash talking), but because he makes personal attacks and it all seems so fake. I feel like he's a used car salesman telling me the folks over at Lamborghini are assholes crapping out lousy cars and I better watch this weekend because his 1987 Ford Fiesta is going to torch their Diablo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I hadn't watched any of Sonnen's interviews or anything until last night. Now that I have, I'm definitely rooting for Silva. Not necessarily because he was trash talking (I'm not against trash talking), but because he makes personal attacks and it all seems so fake. I feel like he's a used car salesman telling me the folks over at Lamborghini are assholes crapping out lousy cars and I better watch this weekend because his 1987 Ford Fiesta is going to torch their Diablo.
    This makes me chuckle because it's so true. Sonnen lasting 5 rounds will be a feat. Anderson will not turn in a performance like last time.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Soo... I was really hoping to see this fight, but I live in a small town, wasn't willing to buy it myself, and had to drive 30 minutes to get to a decent sized sports bar. I went with some friends (and didn't drive myself), and the bar didn't end up showing it. My friends didn't want to leave to go to a place that we knew would be showing it. I was pretty bummed. Sounds like Chael is legit from what I've heard, though.

Also noteworthy is that both Johny Hendricks and Phil Davis won on the undercard to remain undefeated. I don't know why Johny hasn't been on a main card since winning by TKO the time he was on it. Hopefully we'll actually get to see those two fight next time.