Thread: Jared Rosholt Prepping For MMA Debut

Default Jared Rosholt Prepping For MMA Debut

The flow of massive wrestlers into mixed martial arts continues, and former Oklahoma State Cowboy Jared Rosholt is the next heavyweight ready to make the plunge.

Team Takedown boss Ted Ehrhardt revealed on Thursday to MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that Rosholt has joined brother Jake, WEC lightweight contender Shane Roller, and UFC welterweight Johny Hendricks on the Team Takedown roster.

"We have signed a new fighter ? Jake's brother, Jared Rosholt," Ehrhardt said. "He's a three-time All-American, and he finished second in nationals this year."

Rosholt finished second in the 2010 NCAA Championships after losing to Iowa State's David Zabriskie by a score of 3-2 in the final match. Nevertheless, Rosholt's combination of size and speed had many wondering if he would follow the lead of his older brother Jake into MMA competition.

"He's a pretty good-sized heavyweight," Ehrhardt said. "Really big, strong, powerful guy. He's actually in (Las) Vegas right now.

"He's around 265 (pounds) when he's walking. We just now put him on all the BSN supplements and trying to do some mass building. He'll end up probably around 280, 285 pounds, and he's real fast. He runs like a 4.7 [40-yeard-dash]. I don't know, but I've heard he's bench-pressing around 700 pounds. He's big, he's strong, and he's fast."

Like his brother, Rosholt is currently working with Cobra Kai Jiu-Jitsu head Marc Laimon on his grappling and at noted trainer Ken Hahn's Striking Unlimited gym for his standup.

Rosholt finished his collegiate career with an overall record of 125-27, which qualified him as the winningest heavyweight in the storied history of the Oklahoma State wrestling program. The 125 wins also qualify as the fifth-most victories by a wrestler in any weight class in the school's history.

A date for Rosholt's professional debut hasn't been determined.

Default Re: Jared Rosholt Prepping For MMA Debut

I'm a bit skeptical that he's benching around 700 pounds... I've been wrong before though.

He weighed in at nationals at 229 so unless he's gotten fat (or gone on a juice cycle) he isn't walking around at 265 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I'm a bit skeptical that he's benching around 700 pounds... I've been wrong before though.
    He only said that he heard Rosholt is benching 700lbs. Now I have heard it too.

Yea not sure why you would want to take a guy who competed at 230 and try to bump him up to 285. The speed advantage would be long gone, conditioning would be down, and he still wouldnt be as powerful as the guys who are used to carrying that mass.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    He only said that he heard Rosholt is benching 700lbs. Now I have heard it too.
    Theoretically, if he WAS bench pressing 700 without a bench press shirt, that would be close to the world record.