Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not more threads about upcoming fights of wrestlers?

Default <edit> Upcoming fights: Former Wrestlers

Tyron Woodley is fighting Nate Coy in an hour. If someone would have told me that these 2 were going to fight an mma fight on Showtime back in 2005, I would have went nuts. Its like hearing David Taylor is fighting Frank Molinaro in a cage. Well kind of... We had Mike Massenzio vs CB Dollaway, and this forum was all over it.

These 2 are legit wrestlers facing off. Then we hav other wrestlers lke Eric Larkin and Nick Fekete getting into MMA. This forum should be all over this. What happened? This is a wrestling forum primarily. i hear more excitement on, dare I say, Sherdog.
    Last edited by leglace; 05-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Default Re: Why not more threads about upcoming fights of wrestlers?

another wrestler climbing the ranks is john cholish. there is a nice write up on mmaweekly cholish. he was a nj medalist and cracked the line up at cornell.

Quote Originally Posted by gutfirst View Post
    another wrestler climbing the ranks is john cholish. there is a nice write up on mmaweekly cholish. he was a nj medalist and cracked the line up at cornell.
    I have heard he was fighting too. I was a bit surprised. He did not seem like an imposing guy in high school. I sort of dismissed him at the time I heard it. There are a ton of NJ wrestlers fighting (Chris Volo, Nick Cottone, Mike Medrano, Jesse Moreng, Ryan Vaccaro, Ricardo Romero etc...). We talk about these guys locally of course. But when we get nationally ranked D-1, D-II, D-III wrestlers fighting, we should be discussing them on TWT moreso than other forums. Wouldn't you think?

Especially when discussing prospects. This forum has had Ryan Bader and Gerald Harris here a while back. I suppose we would get more if there was more fan fare.
    Last edited by leglace; 05-23-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Honestly, the MMA forum on TWT is pretty slow, seems like very little gets discussed. There used to be the group of "regulars" but they were pretty clique-ish (at least IMO) so maybe that's why there's not a ton of traffic on this board? Now it seems they are gone and there just isn't anyone around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Honestly, the MMA forum on TWT is pretty slow, seems like very little gets discussed. There used to be the group of "regulars" but they were pretty clique-ish (at least IMO) so maybe that's why there's not a ton of traffic on this board? Now it seems they are gone and there just isn't anyone around anymore.
    Arm-spin, don't blame the lack of activity on a small handful of regulars being missing. If its slow, its because people are just not showing interest. Thats strange since this forum is full of members who enjoy mma. It has its place and its for all members. Just speak your mind.

Gerald Harris will probably be fighting at UFC 116: http://mmajunkie.com/news/19268/gera...determined.mma

We mentioned this in another thread - Ben Askren is fighting Dan Hornbuckle in the Bellator Welterweight tournament finals.

Matt Monteiro (Cal Poly wrestler) made his amateur MMA debut over the weekend at the Fight for Wrestling event to help save the college wrestling programs in CA: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/05...#ixzz0okgO5Hzv

If you guys care about female wrestlers crossing over to MMA, my training partner Audrey Pang (wrestled 125 lbs for the men's team at Princeton, now 4-0 amateur MMA) is fighting at Ring of Fire on June 5. The card has 3 female fights, the headliner being Cat Albert, another former female wrestler, going for the ROF 125 lb pro women's belt: http://www.rofmma.com/v2/

Mike Massenzio is confirmed for a matchup with Brian Stann on the Aug 1st Versus Card that is headlined by Jon Jones vs Matyushenko.

What are Nat Coy's wrestling credentials?
    I don't remember hearing his name.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    What are Nat Coy's wrestling credentials?
    I don't remember hearing his name.
    I know he placed 4th in NCAA D-1 at 174. He lost to Koscheck in the 3rd place finals.

He also placed 4th at Midlands one year. 2x Pac 10 champ. I also believe he holds a victory over Gerald...