Default UFC 74 Predictions

Solid card...

Randy Couture v. Gabriel Gonzaga
    Josh Koscheck v. Georges St. Pierre
    Patrick Cote v. Kendall Grove
    Joe Stevenson v. Kurt Pellegrino
    David Heath v. Babalu Sobral
    Ryan Jensen v. Thales Leites

I'll make official predictions, at least for myself tomorrow. I'll also toss a two week sig bet out for anyone who wants it on the outcome of Kos v. GSP. I'll take Kos, whoever bites can have the French dude.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Default Re: UFC 74 Predictions

Randy Couture v. Gabriel Gonzaga

Randy has had problems with big guys who can grapple in the past, and Gonzaga is definitely one of those, but I just can't bring myself to pick against Captain America, Randy is so cerebral I just think he comes out, gets the crowd behind him, and just finds a way to win.

Josh Koscheck
    v. Georges St. Pierre

On paper, GSP is favored, but they don't fight them on paper, I'm going with Koscheck. Both guys are well rounded, GSP more so than Koscheck as he has the better striking despite Koscheck's being much improved. Koscheck has the better wrestling, and both guys have good BJJ. I think so long as Kos doesn't try and stand and knock GSP out (like he's intimated he wants to do...) then he wins a UD here.

Kendall Grove
    v. Patrick Cote

Kendall has improved a ton since his TUF season, he's become quite well rounded, too well rounded for Cote in my opinion anyway.

Joe Stevenson v. Kurt Pellegrino

Never seen Pellegrino, Joe Daddy wins it here, I think he's the deserving guy for the shot at BJ and either the Interim or the actual strap at 78 if Sherk gets stripped

Babalu Sobral v. David Heath

Babalu is good, never heard of Heath.

Thales Leites v. Ryan Jensen

Much as it pains me to pick against a guy with such a great last name, Leites is tough, I gotta go with him.

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

I have the same as you, except I'll take GSP and the sig bet...

Good picks Jensen and I agree with on all of them but I will go out on a limb and take Cote and GSP.

Have you guys tried MMAplayground.com? They have a pickem for each event and fake wagering on the fights. There is real cash given out to the winners of each event and at the end of the year.
    He let himself down, for what...a woman. I say, go be a world champion let the women come to you......Tito Ortiz

www.d1collegewrestling.net

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty View Post
    I have the same as you, except I'll take GSP and the sig bet...
    You got it...

Jensen, I see why you have issues picking Leites-my last name is Hendricks, and just think about who I had to watch use my name for the past four college seasons!

I have the same picks, but I'm going with Cote.

And what's the over-under on how many bad "Babalooooooo" jokes Joe Rogan makes during Sobral's match?

I agree w/ Jensen, common sense tells me to pick Gonzaga but I just can't. I think Randy finds a way to win.

The GSP/Koscheck fight is toughest for me to guess. GSP has the all-around game to be a superstar for years and year. Koscheck improves every fight, and may just be good enough to win. GSP may also have to worry about a letdown. The last few champs to lose (Hughes, Franklin, and Arlovski) all seems "not themselves" in there first match after losing the belt. If thats the case with GSP, Kos will win. It pains me to say but I'm going against the American wrestler and picking GSP.

I've got Grove beating Cote. If Grove wins against the vetern Cote, he probably should get a step up in competition.

Joe Daddy and Kurt Pellegrino. Pellegrino is Hermes Franca's boy so lets hope he passes the pee test. He's a solid ju-jitsu guy, but I don't think he will be able to handle Joe. He's got a size advantage on any LW except Sherk. A win here could possibly set up a Joe/BJ match later this year.

The last bout on the main card is Roger Huerta/Alberto Crane. I really like Huerta but he is getting good breaks. All of his fights have featured a guy making his UFC debut, as is the case w/ Crane. It looked like Huerta slighly underestimated his last opponent Doug Evans, and was close to going down. I'd like to see him dominate here. So would Dana, he makes no bones about admitting that Huerta is his Latin posterboy and instrumental in having to fight in a possible Mexico City card.

Babalu vs David Heath. I certainly hope Babalu win's here. Otherwise he could be looking for new employment. The LHW division is very deep.

Clay Guida vs Marcus Aurelio. Mark it down, this will be the fight of the night. Unfortunatly, unless there are a bunch of quick knockouts, we won't see it. Guida has had to fight two studs already in the UFC in Din Thomas and Tyson Griffin. Both were great fights and I thought Guida beat Griffin, but the facts are Guida comes to fight. Aurelio is a Pride vet making his debut, and has an impressive resume himself and could be a contender. My pick is a decision win by Aurelio.

Thales Leites is impressive and I think he wins here.

Frank Mir/Antoni Hardonk ummm probably the best time to get a new drink or go to the bathroom. I'd love to see Frank back in championship form, but he hasn't given any indications of that yet. Hardonk has been less than impressive as well. I'll go w/ a Mir decision.
    He let himself down, for what...a woman. I say, go be a world champion let the women come to you......Tito Ortiz

www.d1collegewrestling.net

I forgot about the Guida v. Aurelio fight, and that Huerta (who is putting a ridiculous amount of work in) was on this card too. Not sure on Guida v. Aurelio as I've never seen either guy fight, Huerta should win, then hopefully they move him up in terms of competition.

I'd like to see him fight Frankie Edgar maybe at the end of the year card, or an early one next year.