Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KenFlo or Gray Maynard: Who Should Get the First Crack at Frankie Edgar?

World Champ

Star KenFlo or Gray Maynard: Who Should Get the First Crack at Frankie Edgar?

After UFC 112 last Saturday night, the UFC's lightweight division has now become its most interesting division. Let's face it, unless you are a close friend or family member of new champ Frankie Edgar, you were shocked when he beat BJ Penn.

Even more shocking is that he took BJ down, but that is another story for another time.

Now that he is the champion, who will Frankie "The Answer" Edgar fight next? There are a few obvious choices like Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard, but below them is an endless pool of inconsistency, save for a few fighters and an Australian guy.

So, for starters, let's take a look at how both Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard stack up against "The Answer." We will start with KenFlo.

Kenny Florian

Outside of BJ Penn, Kenny Florian is easily the second best lightweight in the world. He has only lost three times in his UFC career, and he is perhaps the most consistent lightweight outside of former champ Penn at finishing fights.

Florian held a striking advantage against the majority of his former opponents, with the exceptions being Diego Sanchez about five years ago and BJ Penn last August. He is also incredibly well balanced; His grappling is as dangerous as anyone's.

He has improved exponentially in both of his fights since his loss to Penn eight months ago. His anticipation of when a punch is being thrown has improved very much, as was evidenced in his fight against Takanori Gomi, where Florian was only hit about four times over the course of two and a half rounds.

On the ground, Florian is as dangerous as anyone. His number of wins by submission is astounding when you consider how little he has fought, and against that level of competition, it is outstanding.

Against Frankie Edgar, Kenny Florian holds the advantage in every phase on paper, but as we saw against Penn, advantages don't necessarily mean anything.

Gray Maynard

Unlike Kenny Florian, Gray Maynard has fought with Edgar in the UFC before, and cruised to a unanimous decision victory. Again unlike Kenny Florian, Gray Maynard can't seem to finish his opponents. And for one similarity, Maynard is also consistent, going undefeated in his career with one no contest.

Gray Maynard uses his large, muscular frame to inflict his will upon his opponents. His recipe for success is basically takedown, ground and pound, rinse, repeat. His grappling is among the best of the division; He could survive in this division for years on his wrestling alone. But his striking leaves a lot to be desired.

Since Maynard's fight with Frankie Edgar at UFC Fight Night 13, he hasn't really improved as far as adding new wrinkles to his gameplan. For now, it can get him wins,, but what will happen when he fights someone with a deep arsena of weapons at their disposal? Name someone like that he has faced thus far in his career.

Kenny Florian-Gray Maynard Head-To-Head

Next, we can make a pretty fair judgement as to who has earned the title fight.

Kenny Florian has faced great competition for his whole career. He has wins over notable fighters such as Joe Lauzon, Joe Stevenson, Sam Stout, and Takanori Gomi.

He has only lost four times, and they were back to back losses to Drew Fickett and Diego Sanchez almost six years ago, and title shot losses to a prime Sean Sherk and a focused BJ Penn.

Gray Maynard has never lost, as was discussed above, but who on his resumé really stands out? Rich Clementi? Nate Diaz? Dennis Siver?

Conclusion

Despite all of the seemingly pro-Kenny Florian talk going on, I actually think Maynard should get the title fight first. It would be an interesting storyline for the UFC to build up.

A fight between Edgar, a fighter who vanquished BJ Penn, and Maynard, a fighter who has never lost and holds a win over Edgar, would indeed be interesting.

It would also be a good test for Frankie Edgar to see how far he has come since UFN 13. If he can't defeat Gray Maynard, then he has no business being in the octagon with Kenny Florian, at least in my opinion.

If he beats Gray Maynard, then a fight between him and KenFlo would be perfect. They might even be able to hold it in Boston, which is KenFlo's hometown and a close neighbor of New Jersey, from which Edgar hails.

So unless something else comes up, Joe Silva should book a fight between Frankie "The Answer" Edgar and Gray "The Bully" Maynard for the title next. It could perhaps be the co-main event to Anderson "The Jackass" Silva's triumphant return.

Default Re: KenFlo or Gray Maynard: Who Should Get the First Crack at Frankie Edgar?

yeah that would be pretty cool i would like to see frankie fight both those guys i dont think maynard will beat him again and kenflo has real good chnce though
    Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one.

Default Re: KenFlo or Gray Maynard: Who Should Get the First Crack at Frankie Edgar?

Both fighters give Edgar tough matchups. Gray has improved his standup quite a bit. That is very important. While Frankie can hold his own with Gray in wrestling, I think only Jacob Volkmann is the only lightweight that would be able to handle Gray on the mat. They are both tough matchups for one another. But Gray would smother Frankie big time making it difficult. Thats why they call him the bully.

Florian is always evolving. His standup would be tough. In fact, I think it would be darn entertaining to see him box Frankie. Frankie could take him down though, and that would be the x factor. Though Frankie would need to be weary of elbows.

I like both fights.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Penn vs. Edgar is in the works i would expect this to be on the august card along with florian vs. maynard.

In a wrestling match edgar would tech pin florian, and even in a fight he still has the advantage but dont be shocked if florian were able to take him down if he got edgar locked into an exchange.
    Last edited by p-jersey; 04-16-2010 at 12:08 PM.

I think I would like to see Maynard fight Edgar, Florian V Sanchez and Penn v GSP. All are seeking revenge makes for a good fight, just think how much better Florian has Gotten since he fought Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I think I would like to see Maynard fight Edgar, Florian V Sanchez and Penn v GSP. All are seeking revenge makes for a good fight, just think how much better Florian has Gotten since he fought Diego.
    Penn v. GSP doesn't make sense to me.

we'll see who dana wants to be the champ by who gets the first shot at edgar. in any case, with the exception of maynard i'd consider edgar a favorite.

Sounds like a Penn-Edgar rematch will be next.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...aining-content

I would rather see someone else get a shot and BJ have to win at least one fight to get a shot at getting his belt back

I predict BJ retires if he loses the rematch.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal