Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Judo rules

Default 2010 Judo rules

I know there are few people here involved with Judo.
    I wanted to see if any of you had thoughts on the new rules for 2010, basically banning leg grabbings techniques that wrestlers are really good at.

I went to some Judo forums to try to get some insight, but the posters were such a bunch of weenies I could not stand it.

Default Re: 2010 Judo rules

I think its dumb.

Over new years, I had my guys at Jason Morris Judo and my son said one of the teachers told him he couldn't do that. I figured the teacher was wrong - but I guess its a new rule.

Do you know the details? I agree, taking someone down isn't going for an ippon and the sport should emphasize ippons (mainly standing ippons) but you can really slam someone with a shot.

My guess is this is mainly aimed at BJJ guys who enter looking for takedowns and submissions.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Clmetal, this is Neil Adams trying to explain the new rules. I'm not sure if he even understands all of them.

http://www.judovision.org/?p=6601

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Clmetal, this is Neil Adams trying to explain the new rules. I'm not sure if he even understands all of them.

http://www.judovision.org/?p=6601
    Thanks - I'll check it out. Not that I am great with any of the rules, but I am curious, my kids will be going in 2 of the biggest tournaments in the country in the coming months (liberty bell and morris cup)
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Just grabbing a pant leg should not be ruled out, not like that is a shot. Good thing I know these now. Obviously they want people winning with more traditional moves

Does this mean you can't do Kata Garuma anymore?

Where's Adolf?

I did agree with the grip fighting changes (from a year ago or whatever) - too many matches involving guys just slapping each others hands.

I have a DVD by Adams and he did some wild stuff.

Pants grabbing was ruled out in 2009. You could grab a leg, but not the pants.
    All direct leg attacks (anything below the belt) are now against the rules, however, they are allow as a combination (the first move can't be a leg attack) and as counter (the rule for counters is very confusing).
    In addition, the penalty is not a warning (shido) but is a disqualification (hansoke make).

This effectively eliminates kata-guruma as an attack.
    I believe this rule change was to minimize the effect of good wrestling technique on Judo. The Mongolian who won Gold in Beijing was a converted wrestler who won with leg pickups Alot of Eastern European and former Soviet bloc countries seem to be real effective with leg attacks. I think International Judo wants to favor the traditional Japanese style of standing up straight with minimal leg attacks.

That ODH - that was helpful.

it clearly favors traditional judo and lot of judo teachers hate outside moves that work.

It's not good for my sons who do a lot more wrestling these days than judo.

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    That ODH - that was helpful.

it clearly favors traditional judo and lot of judo teachers hate outside moves that work.

It's not good for my sons who do a lot more wrestling these days than judo.
    If you look at the original Judo text they have a double leg (motorte gari) and a firemans carry (Kata-guruma), plus ankle picks and other leg grabs. I somewhat agree that Judo should favor more classical Judo throws, but these rules are way too extreme. The bigger problem I have with Judo today is how throws that look like a gentle slow roll to the back are called ippons. In my mind, an ippon should be a resounding slam where there is no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    If you look at the original Judo text they have a double leg (motorte gari) and a firemans carry (Kata-guruma), plus ankle picks and other leg grabs. I somewhat agree that Judo should favor more classical Judo throws, but these rules are way too extreme. The bigger problem I have with Judo today is how throws that look like a gentle slow roll to the back are called ippons. In my mind, an ippon should be a resounding slam where there is no doubt.
    Me too. I think if you go for a slam with a shot and not a takedown, it should be viewed differently.

I am also not a big fan of the sacrifice takedowns like toemanagis