Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Dana White! The UFC Lightweight Division Needs a Serious Upgrade

World Champ

Star Hey Dana White! The UFC Lightweight Division Needs a Serious Upgrade

Last night at UFC Fight Night 20, Gray Maynard defeated Nate Diaz by split decision. Now, while I have some serious questions as to how all three of the judges had completely different scores, I'll save those for another time.

Going into the fight, many fight fans knew that if Gray Maynard were to win the fight, he'd be in serious title contention. Seeing as how he is now 7-0-1 inside the octagon, you can't really knock him for being a number one contender. You can, however, blast the UFC.

How in the world is Gray Maynard your number one contender, especially after last night? While I'll admit Maynard surprised me with ability and willingness to*box with Diaz, Maynard pretty much showed that he would stand little no chance in a fight with BJ Penn.

The other guy that is being hyped as a title contender, is Frankie Edgar. While I think Edgar is the better option given his overall body of work, I doubt he would fair any better. One glaring problem with his record is that he has already lost to Maynard, the same Maynard that he's competing with to get a title shot.

Let's just get this straight. Neither one of these men is the right choice. Neither one of these men are expected to even take a single round from BJ, at least in my view. And in all honesty, there is nobody currently in the UFC that can fair any better. So yes, these two could be the best two options, but neither one should really be an option.

Maynard looks like he is starting to become Sean Sherk. Both have outstanding wrestling, but both will look to stand rather than*take there opponent to the ground. If Gray was that scared to take Nate down, imagine how scared he'd be to take BJ down.

The UFC needs to bring in new talent. No, not by doing another lightweight-only TUF, please don't do that. They need to go out and grab some serious contenders. There are guys out there that aren't facing the best competition. BJ is currently in there shoes. I don't care if the UFC and another promotion loan out fighters like in the PRIDE days. Something needs to happen.

Five of the top 10 Lightweight fighters in the world are currently fighting outside of*the UFC. Those fighters are Shinya Aoki, Eddie Alvarez, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Gilbert Melendez, and Mizuto Hirota. Of those names, Shinya Aoki and Eddie Alvarez stand out.

While UFC fans have been begging for years, both Alvarez and Aoki have still yet to come to the Octagon. Alvarez is the current Bellator Lightweight champion, winning the belt rather easily, disposing of all four of his opponents by submission. At just 26 years of age, there is still plenty of time for the UFC to place him in the cage, but I recommend they do that quickly.

Aoki was in a little hot water after his last fight for breaking the arm of Hirota. After the fight Aoki claimed he heard Hirota's arm popping and just decided to snap it. While that killer instinct is a bit disturbing, the UFC needs that*instinct if they expect someone to dethrone "The Prodigy". Aoki is also just 26 years old but once again, the UFC needs him. The fans need him too.

If the UFC wants to continue billing the lightweight division as competitive and entertaining, they need to actually start making it competitive and entertaining. As of right now, I am in no way entertained by this division anymore. While it's fun to watch little guys slug it out, there's no point when you know that the guys you're watching now would get killed if they fought the champ.

Default Re: Hey Dana White! The UFC Lightweight Division Needs a Serious Upgrade

I think there's some truth to this, although I think it's a little premature to dismiss The Bully and Edgar.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

Default Re: Hey Dana White! The UFC Lightweight Division Needs a Serious Upgrade

"Five of the top 10 Lightweight fighters in the world are currently fighting outside of*the UFC. Those fighters are Shinya Aoki, Eddie Alvarez, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Gilbert Melendez, and Mizuto Hirota. Of those names, Shinya Aoki and Eddie Alvarez stand out."

BS MMA Reporter, all the best lightweights in the WORLD are fighting inthe UFC currently. who the hell is Shinya Aoki or Gilbert Melendez???
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

If we're judging LW's on their ability to beat BJ Penn, then it should say "Hey Planet Earth! The Lightweight Division needs a serious upgrade!"
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

I dont think hirota is a top ten lw.

Hopefully Huerta will get the opportunity to fight a few of the figments in peoples imagination. I have no doubt it will be a heart wrenching experience for them.

Aoki would get beat by any contender in the UFC. Alverez may be able to work his way up the ladder, but no one is going to beat Penn, except for a freak "Serra-GSP" moment.

I am tired of all this Aoki talk. Aoki was too scared to grapple with Shaolin. What makes people think he would confident in taking BJ to the ground. And we have seen Aoki's standup. He is too one dimensional and BJ is the worst matchup for Aoki.

Aldo is the best matchup for BJ. He would punish BJ on his feet. And he showed solid TD defense. But for the moment, he is a featherweight. KJ Noons is a good matchup. I could see BJ standing up with KJ out of hard headedness. KJ could possibly take him out. It would be a battle for Hawaii.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Penn would noons lunch. Noons is a solid boxer but he also got knocked out by crazy horse. If and when it did go to the ground penn would brutalize him.

its hard to evaluate aldo has he hasnt really been tested, and hasnt really faced a great striker or a grappler the caliber of penn.