Thread: UFC vs Strikeforce? Part 2

World Champ

Star UFC vs Strikeforce? Part 2

For the analysis on whether this event*will actually take place, go here .

As have been talking about in the earlier article, this event is unlikely to take place in 2010, barring a miracle. I will, however, predict how the card on this event would shape up to be like, and who would actually triumph here.

In Dynamite 2009!!!, the Dream versus Sengoku battle featured two lightweight bouts,*three featherweight bouts, one welterweight battle, one middleweight, and two heavyweight clashes. Obviously, UFC vs Strikeforce cannot use the same template since they don't have a featherweight division. Instead, they would probably have their champion against the company's champion, and the best non-champion in each division*against each other. This would however, open the risk of a tie should the fights end with five wins each. Here is how the card will look like

Lightweight Bout: Kenny Florian (UFC) vs. Josh Thompson (Strikeforce)

Granted, Kenny Florian is not the No. 1 contender, but if UFC were to choose a representative, it would have to be "KenFlo". Despite his loss against BJ Penn, he looks very impressive in his UFC career.

Josh Thompson brought everything and more in his war against Gilbert Melendez for*the Unified lightweight title, but unfortunately came up short after five rounds. He impressed everyone, myself included, with his performance that night.

Josh Thompson is a former Strikeforce lightweight champion. Kenny Florian will however, be too much for Thompson to handle. Expect a submission victory and the first win for UFC.

Winner: Kenny Florian (UFC 1, Strikeforce*0)

Welterweight Bout: Matt Hughes (UFC) vs. Marius Zaromskis (Strikeforce)

Zaromskis will be facing*former UFC stud Nick Diaz for the currently vacant welterweight title on Strikeforce in Miami on January 30. With Diaz the more established fighter, let's assume he wins that fight. That leaves Zaromskis against the best fighter with initials other than GSP that UFC has to offer.

Matt Hughes may be 36 and on the slide, but he's still the most recognizable name in the welterweight division. His reputation alone is enough to hype a fight, and frankly, no other welterweight (from*Swick, Koscheck, and Hardy)*have really separated themselves from the rest of the pack.

Zaromskis has won all*three of his fights in 2009 with head kicks. I expect him to make it four in a row with a strike to the temple of the shorter Hughes. This could mark when Mark Hughes realises he's no longer the very best.

Winner: Marius Zaromskis (UFC 1, Strikeforce 1)

Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt (UFC) vs Dan Henderson (Strikeforce)

Instead of handing Vitor Belfort a title shot against champion Anderson Silva, this should have been the No. 1 contender's fight. If that had happened, Dan Henderson might not be representing Strikeforce. But it is what it is, and now they are in different companies.

Both of them have looked impressive of late, and I think this would be a flat out war. I think Dan Henderson's superior strength will prove the difference in grinding out a three round*unanimous victory.

Winner: Dan Henderson (UFC 1, Strikeforce 2)

Light Heavyweight Bout: Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (UFC) vs Muhammed Lawal (Strikeforce)

Rua looked like the Rua of old in his match against Lyoto Machida. Despite not getting the judges' approval, most fans felt that he was the rightful winner. Be that as it may, he's still the top contender.

Muhammed Lawal is a collegiate wrestler who has represented the United States Wrestling team, and is undefeated in his MMA career, with all his matches ending in TKO or KO. This would be his biggest test to date.

Shogun would have the speed advantage but Lawal will probably knock him out cold. I predict Lawal to continue his streak and add another knockout to his resume.

Winner: Muhammed Lawal (UFC 1, Strikeforce 3)

Heavyweight Bout: Shane Carwin (UFC) vs Fedor Emelianenko (Strikeforce)

Shane Carwin is the current No.1 contender, and has a shot at becoming champion when he faces Frank Mir at UFC 111 for the interim championship.*He's still undefeated. All he needs is a big win on his resume and his name will be up there with the best of the heavyweights. It can't get any bigger than the fight he gets here.

Fedor Emelianenko is promoted as the best fighter in the world, but he's not the champion. Alistair Overeem is. Hence, he would be fighting the champion. This is the fight where Fedor proves that he can beat more than just has-beens.

I would expect Fedor to live up to the hype and KO Shane Carwin in the third round.

Winner: Fedor Emelianenko (UFC 1, Strikeforce 4)

Strikeforce has a huge lead leading up to the champions' fighting. How will UFC bounce back? Continue to read on with Part 3 coming soon.

Default Re: UFC vs Strikeforce? Part 2

Fights I would kill to see

KJ Noons vs Gomi !!!
    Tyron Woodley vs GSP in a year from now
    Melendez vs Sanchez
    Aoki vs Penn
    Fitch vs Shields
    Zaromkis vs Daley
    Lawler vs Belfort
    Henderson vs Marquart
    Jacare vs Maia
    Rampage vs Lawal
    Mousasi vs Machida
    Brett Rogers vs Dos Santos
    Healthy Brock vs Lashley
    Werdum vs Big Nog II
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

i would for sure go with shogun over lawal at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    i would for sure go with shogun over lawal at this point in time.
    Word.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com