Thread: How Dana White Handled Machida over Shogun

Default How Dana White Handled Machida over Shogun

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/1/8/...dled-the-lyoto

Visibly angry with the decision ? Who cares what I think? I'm only the fuckin' promoter! ? White retreats with his entourage to his private dressing room, where he is joined by two financial officers from Zuffa. Along with Lorenzo Fertitta, White decides who should win the bonus money for best submission and the rest. Bonus checks for all the fighters are written out by hand. When they get to Shogun's check, White orders the accountants to "pay the taxes." Meaning, essentially, that he wants Shogun's previously contracted payday to be doubled.

With a check for $250,000 in hand, White goes off looking for Shogun.

When the defeated challenger sees the boss enter his dressing room, he rises shamefacedly from his bench ? his body language says defendant about to be sentenced. His manager stands stolidly at his left elbow; his entourage surrounds him in a semicircle.

White hands Shogun his check. He points to the amount. "Tell him that's the real number," White instructs the manager.

"Thank you, thank you very much," Shogun says in heavily accented English. Back home in Curitiba, Brazil, his wife is expecting their first child. He looks appreciative ? if not exactly satisfied.

"We paid the taxes," White reiterates. Maybe he didn't understand? He points to the check again. "That's the real number there. That's take-home pay."

Shogun listens to the translation. He ratchets his proud, chiseled jaw one crank higher. "Okay, thank you," he says. "Thank you very much."

"I know it doesn't erase what happened."

Resigned: "No, no problem."

"But it's gotta make you feel a little better." White elbows the fighter playfully in the triceps ? I just gave you an extra hundred grand, dude, lighten up!

Shogun breaks down and smiles for real. White regards him appraisingly. "Do you want a rematch?"

No translation is necessary.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Default Re: How Dana White Handled Machida over Shogun

Let me guess, you posted this to make the point that Dana is super generous.

It's great he gave him a big bonus on top of a 6 digit payday (in a somewhat boring 5 rounder, mainly Machita's fault), but sounds like he wasn't pleased with Shogun's reaction of gratitude initially and kind of pushed him for more praise (consistent with White on everything; he feels he deserves more praise)

Anyways, can we trust this story? Adolf has told us repeatedly that these bonuses are in cash and not subject to taxes.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Who wrote this? Kevin Iole?

It's actually from that UFC apologist rag, Esquire.

http://www.esquire.com/print-this/dana-white-ufc-0210

They did a profile on Dana White. Leave it to CL to brush off the extra 6 figures, and focus on his perception of some of the words. Hilarious.

Oh, and it was written by Mike Sager. THIS Mike Sager:

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Sager
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Don't drag me into this Claudale. A long time ago I witnessed thecobra humiliate you when you didn't believe him that cash payments were being made. Later it was revealed that in fact they were. I put that exchange up there with what gamberro did to PJ and what I've done to all comers. Don't get me started. Mr Dana White is quite generous but don't think that what you see on the pay check is all these guys get. If you do, you are very naive.
    Lets go Brent!

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    It's actually from that UFC apologist rag, Esquire.

http://www.esquire.com/print-this/dana-white-ufc-0210

They did a profile on Dana White. Leave it to CL to brush off the extra 6 figures, and focus on his perception of some of the words. Hilarious.

Oh, and it was written by Mike Sager. THIS Mike Sager:

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Sager

I think its great that he gave him the bonus but its weird to turn this into a story

Adolf - Dana has said the bonuses are always reported for tax purposes and we know from fighter interviews discretionary bonuses are not a given. So you have to admit Dana is lying (for the first time) if he's handing out bonuses that are not taxable.

Like I said, if they aren't taxable to the fighters, they aren't deductable to the UFC. so Dana and the Fertittas are paying taxes just to illegally give the fighters tax free income. Very unlikely, you might want to get the details from Cobra again. Just because the guys were handed cash, it doesn't mean it wasn't reported to the IRS.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

For reals Claudale, whats the purpose of this story? did someone badmouth Dana again so his minions had to rush this story out to the faithful for distribution?
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pimach View Post
    For reals Claudale, whats the purpose of this story? did someone badmouth Dana again so his minions had to rush this story out to the faithful for distribution?
    Dana tries to make people think that disclosed payroll is completely unreliable. Although some get discretionary bonuses and a handful get PPV sharing and signing bonuses, he'd like us to think that someone who gets $3g may have gotten $100g instead. Plenty of fighters have said in interviews that the disclosed payday is all they got. Discretionary bonuses (I believe) are the exception and only a fool would think guys on the undercard are getting a piece of the PPV.