Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Penn likely to face edgar at 112

Default Re: Penn likely to face edgar at 112

Adolf i have to agree. I am a huge edgar fan, but as i told claudale a few weeks back i would only give him a 1 percent chance of winning and that is only if Penn decided not to train.

Edgar may have better striking than maynard (although maynard outstruck him in their fight) but he does not have better striking than penn. Even if he could match his technical ability which i do not think he does i dont think he can match his speed and certainly not his power.

I think if Maynard beats Diaz he should get the next title shot, not Edgar. Sure, Edgar beat Sherk, which is pretty impressive, but Maynard also beat Edgar - out-wrestled him and controlled him during the whole fight. That fight was a while ago, but I think Maynard is more deserving than Edgar.

Well, I don't like Frankie Edgar anyway so I wouldn't mind seeing him lose to BJ. lol

edgar would have to push the pace and stay out of danger in order to win. the pushing the pace part was his entire style as a colligiate wrestler.

i realize that he was technically sound, but he won on conditioning and constant pressure. that gives him a legit chance to beat bj.

however, the staying out of danger part is a major deal breaker. i don't think he'll have the composure to not take risks and push the pace at the same time. if he can, he could wear bj down and win late in a 5 round fight.

I think it takes a bigger guy to wear out penn in wrestling and grappling exchanges. GSP was able to continue put penn on his back, and hughes was able to survive the submission attempts. I dont see 155lbers especially an undersized one like edgar really being able to push him.

I think it comes down to the stand up. The person to beat BJ would have to beat him with strikes while avoiding the td. Frankie has better textbook boxing, and improves every day. However, BJ has an important skill often neglected in training, Timing.
    He doesn't have super special mechanics or fancy footwork. He can stand infront of you and pick shots off. However, Frankie has excellent timing and patience. Look at Frankie's connect ratio. He can make this a striking match, something Florian mistakenly forgot. But lets make no mistake that its easier said than done.

I think Frankie has the tools to beat BJ. He will need to box like he did against Sherk, only better. I disagree that Frankie does not have as much power as BJ. BJ used to have power, but now he just overwhelms you with punches. Sort of like Nick Diaz. Edgar has power in his hands. I think you would only truly see it if he has an oponent stunned. Most boxers hold off on their power punching until they feel they can stay flat footed.

The guy I contend will beat BJ is Jose Aldo. He is the same height as BJ, but a much better striker. He has shown good td defense and is a blackbelt in Brazil. I believe Big Nog gave him his belt. I think they should let Aldo fight one more fight, either Cerrone or Faber. If he annhialiates either of them, Dana should lure him into the UFC at lightweight.

As Maynard being the next contender over Edgar, its a tough argument. Frankie is more deserving having beaten more fighters to get there. Maynard has a victory over Frankie, so that always plays into it. But I think it comes down to who they think stylistically has a better chance. Both of them have a chance. Maynard is the only one who fares a chance of taking down BJ, and stealing rounds with short gnp flurries. He is probably the best lightweight "pure" wrestler in mma. Frankie is more capable of exchanging with him with technical boxing and possibly hurting him. Both scenarios while possible, will be tough.
    Last edited by leglace; 01-08-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Leglace i agree that edgar needs to beat him in striking to win the match.

Penn dropped diego first punched he landed, he also dropped stevenson, florian looked stunned after each exchange. I listened to an interview recently where florian said the hardest he has been hit in a fight was by penn. He definitely has power, and i think each will land punches on each other so it will dependd on who feels the shots more.

Also for what its worth Freddie Roach said Penn has the best boxing in mma. Penn doesnt move a round a ton but i think thats because he knows his hands are so quick and he has power along with his reaction reflexes/reaction time and great chin he doesnt need to. he can stand in front you land his punches and believe that he will hurt you and either avoid your punches or not be affected by them.

No doubt that BJ has great punching ability. But I still contend its not not so much boxing as it is well placed timing. Along with Machida and Anderson Silva, one of the best. Timing alone can allow you to reel off clean punches, ones that you feel. The punch Irvin got hit by Anderson Silva when his kick was caught was probably the most painful punch he was ever hit by. But not because Anderson threw it so hard. It was timed so perfect, it hit him flush. BJ does that.

I like BJ's punching because he uses most of his reach while not compromising his stance much. This is along the lines of my belief that the better the boxer, the less comitted they are to a punch. When BJ was younger, he was more explosive. However, he subjected himself to more danger like he did against Din Thomas. Now he is just wiser.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    I think it comes down to the stand up. The person to beat BJ would have to beat him with strikes while avoiding the td. Frankie has better textbook boxing, and improves every day. However, BJ has an important skill often neglected in training, Timing.
    He doesn't have super special mechanics or fancy footwork. He can stand infront of you and pick shots off. However, Frankie has excellent timing and patience. Look at Frankie's connect ratio. He can make this a striking match, something Florian mistakenly forgot. But lets make no mistake that its easier said than done.

I think Frankie has the tools to beat BJ. He will need to box like he did against Sherk, only better. I disagree that Frankie does not have as much power as BJ. BJ used to have power, but now he just overwhelms you with punches. Sort of like Nick Diaz. Edgar has power in his hands. I think you would only truly see it if he has an oponent stunned. Most boxers hold off on their power punching until they feel they can stay flat footed.

The guy I contend will beat BJ is Jose Aldo. He is the same height as BJ, but a much better striker. He has shown good td defense and is a blackbelt in Brazil. I believe Big Nog gave him his belt. I think they should let Aldo fight one more fight, either Cerrone or Faber. If he annhialiates either of them, Dana should lure him into the UFC at lightweight.

As Maynard being the next contender over Edgar, its a tough argument. Frankie is more deserving having beaten more fighters to get there. Maynard has a victory over Frankie, so that always plays into it. But I think it comes down to who they think stylistically has a better chance. Both of them have a chance. Maynard is the only one who fares a chance of taking down BJ, and stealing rounds with short gnp flurries. He is probably the best lightweight "pure" wrestler in mma. Frankie is more capable of exchanging with him with technical boxing and possibly hurting him. Both scenarios while possible, will be tough.
    The snap in BJ's jab inflicts huge punishment. BJ also has skin like an armadillo , difficult to damage BJ.
    Not only does Gray have a decisive win over Edgar , but he did it with a broken right hand for fourteen minute.
    Sherk has refused ,on more than one occasion, to fight Gray .
    I think Edgar can beat every challenger in the LW Division , except Gray. Just a Dad's humble opinion .